Chapter 7

Elizabeth stopped the car at the gates and as she said, the guards wanted to search us. We got out and let them do as they wanted; it did not bother me but I am grateful that Elizabeth suggested that we dumped the weapons. It would not be a pleasant moment right now if I'd had them with me.

In the distance, a door opened. The house was far larger than I'd seen in my time among the vampires. It rose high, almost like the apartment building that I lived in and was as wide as several of them. I was curious as to how many families lived in this complex.

"Where does your brother live, Elizabeth?"

"At the house." She said, nodding at the building.

"Yes, but where does he live in there?"

"Well, I think their bedroom is on the second floor but that might have changed when they did the renovation."

Elizabeth looked at me, almost like she was trying to figure something out.

"That's their house, Len. Some of the servants live in the servant's quarters but no one else. Well, aside from their children but that's not what you're asking, is it?"

I shook my head.

"I thought that many families lived there, like where I live."

"Unfortunately, that's not possible here. Dahlia needs to be protected so they live in this place with lots of guards."

The guard gave us a nod, letting us through the gate. One of them handed our bags to us, Elizabeth's car was taken to a building to the right of us.

"Where is the car going?"

"To the garage. Come on, it's only a short walk."

Her hand went out, I smiled as I took it. We walked to the house, a slow walk through the tranquility of this beautiful place.

"It is a lovely morning."

"And almost time for this vampire to be inside."

"That must be difficult for you."

"Well, I wouldn't say difficult. Sometimes it can be a pain in the backside but most of the time I can get by. It's not like I have much of a choice."

A man stood at the door, watching us with a stern frown.

"Is that Silas?"

"Yeah, how did you figure that one out?"

"He is frowning at me. I think that he does not like us holding hands."