Chapter 21

Alaric pushed the gun into the holster at his side. I felt relieved and wondered if there would be a time when I could trust him completely. Had Dahlia's thoughts convinced me that Alaric was a bad vampire when it wasn't the truth?

"So?"

"I would like to fix the issues in this place before my mother and my siblings return."

"Good idea."

Collecting a pot off the floor, Alaric wandered over to the map. The flame shone brightly over it, highlighting what they'd done in my absence.

"They have searched far and wide," I said softly, pointing to one section. "This is what we called the new lands. Father was going to search it after the winter season had passed."

"Much of the land will be overgrown. Venture south if you want but remember that it is not worth the loss of life if you find something unsavory down there. Your numbers are low, Lenrith. Do not let your race die out for something that may not be worth it."

"You wish to save the Hirioaken people?"

He turned and looked at me. The light flickered against his stoic face.

"I want what my parents dreamed of. A global community that cares for everyone around them. My path to today has not been overly caring but I tried my best. To save those who cannot save themselves, to remove those who would bring the world down, to do what is right for long term salvation. It is an expensive price to pay and I accept that there was little that I could have done to change what I have paid. Did I enjoy it? Some of the things that I did, yes. I won't lie about that because I thought that vengeance was necessary to appease the pain in my heart. Perhaps you and I are not so different."

"We both wanted things that were not right." I murmured. "I wanted to end your life but I was wrong about what happened."

Alaric offered a dark smile.

"You might want but you would not get. The guards around me are vigilant."

"I am grateful that Elizabeth was able to show me the truth."

I paused for a moment, thinking of her. It had been far too many days since I have seen her. Missing her caused a great pain inside of me. All I wanted was to hold her in my arms again. Perhaps to lay on the bed and discuss things that are not important. Maybe eat those delicious biscuits with her after baking far too many. I could not cook but I would learn how if it meant that we could share a meal together.

"You look like a man in love."

Snapping out of my thoughts, I looked at Alaric and feared what he would say.

"Does that upset you?"

"Not so long as she is safe. Love her, care for her and treat her well and we don't have a problem. If I come here and trust me, I will be, and I see that she's not the vibrant woman that I care for, you and I will be having words. Deadly words. Clear?"

"It is very clear because I would not want to see a tear shed because of my neglect. I find this conversation to be intriguing."

"How so?"

"Dahlia,"

"Okay," He groaned softly. "Going to stop you right there. Let me guess, she's going to go into battle for you, make sure you're getting what you're entitled to, blah, blah, blah."

Alaric rolled his eyes, leaning on the wall. His finger dragged over it, watching as it moved over the paper.

"You know those prices that I pay?"

I nodded quietly.

"She's one of them. I had goals and taking down the royal families that murdered my parents was the biggest. When her father died, I saw it as a great opportunity to consume the land with little fuss. I didn't expect to find an adversary so determined and strong. She was stubborn, she wouldn't bow down to my demands and it grated against me. It also didn't help that she was the one that found Silas when he went missing and was pregnant to him."

"Oh," I said softly.

"I was wrong and I couldn't see the right path. Silas never told me that Dahlia's father delivered my mother to him, I never knew any of it. Farris and Dahlia knew that she was pregnant, they knew that there was an heir to the throne and they kept the secret. You know what it's like to be so consumed by grief that anger takes control?"

I nodded, full of regret.

"Well, that was me. Because of that day, she has zero trust for me and I don't blame her. I just accept things as they are and continue on. Dahlia forgets that I only want the best for this world. She thinks that everything that I do is another attempt at taking her down. The bypass was the perfect example. She didn't want any part of her land taken away from her so Oliver suggested downsizing what Claudia was given but that wasn't good enough. I didn't have to give Claudia land to rule. I could have kept it all to myself but I didn't. As soon as she was old enough, Claudia was told that it could be hers if she wanted it. Which she didn't want to rule anything and only took her posting because of Henley so we assumed she wouldn't care. But mother hen finds out and clucks all over the plans like it really makes any difference to me."

"Do you think that you have achieved your goal of peace for the global community?"

"I hope that I have. There are a few things that need to be dealt with but I'm sure a few sleeper agents won't cause me too much grief."

"Then if you think that your parent's dream has been achieved, it might be time to think of a new plan for your future. Perhaps this one will be fixing the mistakes that you have made and then you might not pay such hefty prices."

Alaric sighed as he lifted from the wall. One by one, he pulled the blades from the wall and took the map down. With a lot of care, he folded it while we walked to the door.

"Somehow, I think that no matter how hard I try, she will always remember. It's been a long time since that day and still, I rest in her home with guards at the door."

"But have you said to her that you were wrong? Did you say these things that you have just said to her?"

He looked at me, the silence said a lot.

"Father always said to me and my siblings that our words always strike hard. We should choose our words carefully because they can never be taken back once they are said. The first step to forgiveness is to acknowledge what has happened. Dahlia may never forgive you but perhaps if you say the words, she will hear you and realize that you accept that you were wrong. Elizabeth said that they provided a great service to your family, have you said how grateful you were?"

Alaric shook his head. I could see that he was thinking about it a lot.

"There is a very good chance that you would be dead if those bad vampires knew where you were. They kept a secret, they kept you hidden. In my tribe, if someone did such a thing, the person would be indebted to them, it would be a life debt. The very least that we would expect as payment is gratitude. You may not get the goal of family peace but perhaps starting with telling Dahlia that you appreciate what she has done for you and your sister would be a good idea."

The great vampire king nodded, gripping my shoulder firmly.

"You are a wise man, Lenrith and you will be a great king. As for your suggestion, I'll take it on board. I have a very strong feeling that she's still not going to forgive and she certainly won't forget but you are right, it is a good idea. You never know, I might actually hug the witch."

Alaric chuckled as he let go of my shoulder and walked out of the house. It made me smile. I hoped that they could let go of the past. As I looked around the house now that it was free of the bad vampires, I thought about my own past. It was one thing to make such suggestions to Alaric but could I let go of what happened here? Could I forget the past? It would be difficult but I would try my best.