Chapter 1

Gunfire ravaged my dreams. When I was awake, I pushed through the anger and the pain, desperately trying to forget the past. I was a husk of a creature after the bitter end to what had been an idyllic childhood.

It hasn't been easy, we have hidden in the shadows and watched those who roamed the land freely. They didn't see us; they didn't realize that we learned so much by listening. Our eyes and our ears soaked in everything and that is why we are not what we used to be.

Evolution has changed us. Before the end, I saw the elders who were like a return to our past. I was not the same, my family was one of a few that were no longer the gangly creatures that were more like a haggard ape that dragged his hands along the ground. We were not the Hirioaken that we once were. We were just like them.

Gritting my teeth, I flicked away the angry tears and pretended that I was okay with everything. My world was not broken, I was just another creature roaming the streets with purpose.

Because I had a purpose. I was going to kill the king of these vampires. I thought that the Kronthelm was the only enemy that my people had once had, I soon learned that was not correct.

The bleak day had come out of nowhere. We'd been living in harmony in the new land, we were at peace with ourselves and were creating our new world. No longer competing for food with the Kronthelm, we were at ease with everything. Years had passed, many years. My father was the one that had negotiated the terms of peace with the leader of the Kronthelm and for that, our people demanded that he became our leader. Their voice was unanimous. He gave us a new life; he was a breath of fresh air.

It was not so long ago that it happened. Many considered me to be young, not a child but certainly naïve. When he heard the screams of his people, my father feared the worst. Sending us away, I believe that my father saved my mother and my siblings. He would stand alone and wait for whatever was coming for us.

It was a foolish move; I know that but I believe that everything happens for a reason. Mother was distraught, believing that we would never see my father again. She was right that day, more than she ever wanted to be. I stood at the doorway and watched as a group of men in mottled green clothes sweep into the room. My father was on the ground within seconds. In the coming days and weeks, I would learn that these men were army. They were the army of the vampire king.

I'd learned that this was how the vampire king took control of the land that he wanted. I'd also learned that he'd once agreed that the Hirioaken could have the land that we lived on without fear of anyone trying to take it from us. I searched to ensure that it was not a new leader that was unaware of that agreement, it was not the case. This was the same king.

He'd broken his promise to my people. We were now scattered, running for our lives. Because we were not the hunters that we'd once been, we were no longer used to defending ourselves. After spending many years living in peace, we'd forgotten our ways.

No longer wanting to watch the spectacle that was the king opening a new donation center, I turned away. This was a feeble attempt to gather information. The crowd was too thick to get close and the only thing that I found out was that the security around him was heavy.

A woman passed a piece of paper to me, offering a fleeting smile. I took it and tried to read it. Learning the language hasn't been easy, reading it was worse. My frown must have made her curious, the head tilted and the smile increased just a little.

"Everything okay?"

"This is just," I paused, looking at the stark blue eyes. "I cannot read this language."

"Must be difficult. Your accent is pretty thick, where are you from?"

I bristled at the question. Surrounded by the enemy was suffocating, giving them information would not be wise. Not just for my mental health but for the scolding I'd get if my mother found out.

"North."

"Ah, you're one of those creatures."

My eyes widened; fear started to rise.

"What are they called? The queen is one."

The woman frowned; her lips pressed tight.

"That's right, Kronthelm."

"The queen is Kronthelm?"

"She sure is. Pretty cool, eh?"

I nodded but I did not agree. The Hirioaken have suffered at the hands of the Kronthelm and to learn that one of them has married the king of the vampires is nothing but throwing dirt in our faces.

"What is this?" I asked as I jiggled the piece of paper at her.

"It's the royal tour schedule if you're interested in attending any of the functions."

"Good. Thank you."

She frowned, bewildered and ready to question me but I turned into the crowd that had just started to disperse. Vampires that asked too many questions were a problem.

Weaving through the crowd was not easy, I disliked being near the vampires. Reaching the other side of the road, I sighed with relief. It was short lived, watched on by my younger sister. She was going through her rebellious fifties, dressed in clothes that would make father weep if he saw her.

I do not understand why she needed to rip holes in perfectly good pants. I was still yet to figure out what these jeans things were, I thought they were all pants yet Kedeshi said that I was being uncool. She'd adapted to this world in a way that was blindingly fast. I watched my sister go from a sweet young woman to something that had attitude, dressed like a poor man that feared attack from everyone. I do not understand what the spikes around her wrist were for. Kedeshi put on this makeup as she called it, gushing over how amazing it was.

All I could see was how much this king had done to our life. He'd created a savage rip through us and it would never be repaired. No matter what I did, I could never return our lives to the way that they'd been.

For that, I wanted to make him pay.