Chapter 5

The cool night air brushed over my face at a fast pace as we sped down the highway. This road system was quite intriguing. I'd never seen anything like it until coming here and found it fascinating. I watched motorbikes speed past us, helicopters fly overhead. I'd even seen a plane high in the sky. That was certainly breathtaking.

"See that large grey wall over there?"

Elizabeth pointed to the wall in the distance, it didn't seem large to me. Though, we were far away from it.

"Yes,"

"That's the old wall that used to be the halfways. Further inland there is another wall, it's much higher than that one. That's where they used to house the humans."

"Where are they now?"

"Some remained there, most went to the badlands once it was cleaned up."

"And the bad vampires were removed?"

Elizabeth glanced sideways, barely taking her eyes off the road.

"No, Henley did not remove any vampires. He walked into their land and offered a plan for the future. They said they'd think about it and when he returned after a week as they'd agreed, the bandits were gone."

"So, the human king did not drive out the bandits?"

"No."

Then it seems that I might be wrong about this king too. My plans for revenge were falling apart. I was grateful that I hadn't removed innocent people but it was not fair that this was altering and I couldn't stop it.

"Are you certain that we must visit your nephew?"

Elizabeth smiled.

"It's fine, Lenrith. Alaric will find you incredibly intriguing. He'd never mentioned the Hirioaken before but I guess he knows that I don't really like talking war with him. My brother was always up for the war games."

She sighed softly as her fingers rapped against the wheel.

"I wish that I'd known at the beginning. I could have helped him, you know?"

I shook my head. No, I didn't know.

"But Silas was so scared that someone would come after them. He'd buried our sister in secret, raised the babies by himself when help was always available."

"Why didn't he ask for help?"

"Because he knew that I was being watched. Hell, even I knew that I was under surveillance. If I went to his house, I risked so much. Thea and Silas always fought like cats and dogs, then be the best of friends. It was crazy. I never really paid much attention, mostly because I was at university. I was in the wrong crowd, we were always protesting something. Too young to handle a dying sister and two babies to raise, I guess. Maybe it was because Maelen always confided in Silas, always discussing politics. Maybe she knew that he was the better option for Alaric's future."

There was a sadness on Elizabeth's face and it was difficult to see someone that was always so happy to be so down.

"After learning of the coup, I rang Silas. It had already been declared that the king and queen were missing and an advisor had been placed. I knew that there was something wrong but I was so distraught that I didn't really think about it. Silas said that the grief was too much for him and he needed time to adjust while they searched for Maelen and Thea. Now that I look back at the conversation, I think that he was trying to tell me that Thea's babies had survived but couldn't actually say the words. Not that it really mattered what he said, it wasn't public knowledge that she was pregnant. Everyone knew that Thea had a brother and a sister but we'd always remained out of sight so that we didn't distract the public from Maelen's great plans for our future. With the belief that no one knew where Silas lived, I stayed away. I was too young, too wrapped up in the grief. Over the years we messaged each other but his warnings were always the same. Everyone is fine, keep the attention on the city and not the mountain. When I saw the word, everyone, I knew that there was more to the situation than what he let on. So, I accepted it, made myself seen by those who dwelled in the city and waited for the day that I'd see my big brother again."

"You lost your sister?"

Elizabeth nodded grimly.

"She's been gone for a really long time but the pain never dies. That's why I work in the shop. If I don't keep myself occupied, I'd go mad. I don't have to work, being the aunt of the king is a pretty sweet ride."

"You must really hate me."

"Seriously?"

The smile on her face was huge.

"No, Lenrith, I don't hate you. You'd be surprised as to how many people have wanted and tried to kill Alaric over the years. Join the line, it's a long one."

"I must have answers."

"And you will get them. Between my brother, Alaric and all those little sycophantic helpers he has, I'm sure they'll figure out who is responsible."

Anxiety began to fill me. Turning over my hand, I found a mark that was darker than the rest of the tanned skin. Elizabeth gripped my hand, stopping me from rubbing the skin. It was already inflamed and didn't need to be poked at any longer. The problem was, I couldn't stop thinking about what was going to happen when we arrived at the king's home.

Would he be happy and greet me as a friend or would he be angry and treat me as a foe? The closer that we got to the new city, the worse my nervousness became.

"I cannot go to the king's home. He will think that I am trying to kill him."

"But you were, weren't you?"

"Yes, but not anymore. I cannot go there tonight."

"Well, we're not going to Alaric's house anyway. We're in the area that my brother lives in, it borders the new bypass. As for what Alaric thinks, don't worry about it. As I said, many people are ahead of you in the line so you're not the only one. My wonderful sister-in-law has permanent residence in the line, she could probably give you a few pointers."

She could see that I was not convinced. Until this was over and I was in chains being led to the chopping block, I would not be able to see anything else.

"The guards will check you over, they check everyone. Do you have any weapons on you?"

Warily I nodded.

"They are in my bag."

"Okay," She said with a sigh. "We'll make a detour and you can dispose of all weapons. How does that sound?"

"Much better. I do not need them now."

Elizabeth hummed a soft laugh as she slowed to take the exit. I was grateful that she was so inquisitive. If she hadn't been, I might have made a terrible mistake. Now I will get answers.