Josh Harvest ~ I'm Not Giving Up On You (Part 2)

Monday rolls around, and there's talk of a new student around.

"I heard he got kicked out of his old school for beating up another kid and doing drugs!" my friend whispered to me as we walked to our class.

"It's just rumors. Seriously, just leave him alone." I sighed, sitting down in my usual seat.

"Yeah, well, ten bucks there's gonna be a fight going on sometime today."

And guess what? She was right. The end of the day rolls around and a whole crowd has assembled in the front of the school, by the front steps of the school. I see two figures throwing punches and rolling around from my spot as I walk out of the building, but other than that, I'm blocked from most of what's happening.

My friend comes running up to me and grabs my arm, tugging me towards the crowd. "Come on!"

She drags me behind her as she pushes her way through the crowd to the front, her grip on my arm firm and unwavering. We eventually stop near the front row of spectators, and I see two boys wrestling in the middle.

"It's the new kid!" my friend hisses in my ear. "And he's pretty hot, not gonna lie."

One of them is from the football team, and the other's mop of blond hair looks oddly familiar.....

"Shit. Josh." I mutter.

I wrench my arm that's still somehow still in my friend's grasp and hand her my backpack, giving her no explanation as I push my way through the few people in front of me. The football player is about to land a punch on Josh but I somehow manage to reach him in time and grab a hold of his arm and pull him towards me.

Football Guy stumbles forward from the momentum as Josh looks at me in surprise.

"(Y/N)?"

"You don't know any other (Y/N)s that look like me, do you?" I replied with a wry smile.

I forgot about Football Guy for a hot minute, and that costed Josh another punch to the jaw. He stumbled back out of my grasp, glaring at Football Guy.

I heard a teacher shouting at us, and the group dispersed pretty quickly. I ran over to Josh again, gripping his forearms.

"Are you okay? That punch looked pretty painful. Plus I didn't see what had happened before I saw you. Did Football Guy do anything to you? I hope you're okay. It's only your first day and you're already getting into fights. Imagine how that would turn out for you later. I can't believe you're the new kid that goes to my school, now that I think of it. I can't have you kicked out of here, not when I'm here. I have a new friend!" I rambled aimlessly, not seeing Josh's smile.

He waited patiently for me to finish, his hands moving to hold my hands instead of my forearms. I cut myself off mid-ramble, grinning sheepishly.

"Sorry. Habit."

"Hey, don't apologize for that. You didn't do anything wrong."

I felt my face heat up, and my sheepish smile grew bigger. "Are you okay, though?" I gently held the side of his face that was punched.

Josh nodded, leaning into my hand. "I'm good."

"Good. If you get into another fight, I'm gonna be there, okay?"

"Okay."

"Good. 'Cause I'm not giving up on you."

~~~

I was home alone again, when a knock on the door jolted me out of my thoughts. My parents were out doing some late night Christmas shopping, and they let me do my own thing as long as the house wasn't trashed. My brother was out doing who-knows-what, so he wouldn't be back for a few hours, maybe not even until tomorrow.