Enjolras ~ Protector (Part 2)

Continued from last part, starts about a few weeks after where part 1 left off of.

Female reader

~~~

I had been living with Madame Houcheloup for a few weeks now, doing as she told me to stay on her good side. I went exploring around town, never going as far as past the marketplace. I made friends with a lot of the vendors and street workers there, as well as some small boys that needed food. But today, I had a burst of courage--or was it stuipidity?--and decided to venture down another way that I had never taken before, curious to see what was at the end of the path.

So out I ventured for the day, bidding Madame a goodbye and walking out of the café. But instead of turning my usual way down the street, I went the opposite way. I shivered a little, whether it was from the slightly cooler temperature of if it was my brain telling me to turn around; I couldn't tell. The sunlight never wavered, staying just as bright as it usually did in the market. It was probably just my overactive imagination making me think I was going to get ambushed anyway.

I was still astounded at all the sights I was seeing though; everything was so new and different to what I was used to. My head turned in every direction, taking all the sights I could. And alas, I was so absorbed in exploring that I didn't watch where I was going and bumped into someone.

Or rather, we bumped into each other.

The man reeked of alcohol and he stumbled around, much like how Madame Houcheloup described me when she first saw me. I would have moved out of the way, if it weren't for me looking everywhere around me but in front of me.

"Oi, lookee what we've got here." he slurred, making me grimace and back away.

"I'm only here for a walk, so it would be really great if you could just back off, thank you very much." I replied firmly.

"Aww, don't be like that. Come on, how about I take you back to my place and--"

"You heard the woman, back off." another voice cut the drunkard off.

I turned my head in the direction of the voice, and couldn't believe my eyes.

Enjolras?!

Of all people, it had to be him. Gotta admit, I wasn't exactly disappointed. I was slightly ecstatic to be honest.

"This doesn't concern you, boy! Scram!"

Enjolras sighed and made his way over to us as I stepped off to the side to get ready to sprint away if necessary, looking the drunkard in the eye before landing a solid punch on his opponent's face. The drunkard went down with a loud "THUD" and Enjolras turned to me with a half smile, looking slightly concerned.

"He didn't do anything to you, did he?" he asked.

I shook my head. "Fortunately, no. Thanks for helping me." I replied. "I owe you one."

"Don't worry about it, honestly." He beamed at me before turning back the way he came, brushing the dust off of him.

I remembered a small detail Madame Houcheloup mentioned about Enjolras maybe letting me join his meetings. I wondered....would he make an exception this once? Probably not, but it was still worth a shot.

"Hey! Wait!" I called after him after a moment of split-second decision making. He stopped and turned around, waiting for me to catch up to him.

Once I did, I hurriedly asked the question I planned to. "I know you don't normally accept women into your meetings, but could you make an exception just this once?"