Ben Fankhauser ~ She's Mine, Everyone

Requested by LizzyKelly1899

~~~

Never in a million years would I think that I would get a job as a reporter. Nor would I think that I would be interviewing the cast of Newsies and writing an article about said show, currently on Broadway. All very exciting, yes. 

I was hurrying down to the theater, hoping I could make it on time. I had been running late and I really didn't want to miss this and get anyone mad. All very nerve-wracking, but I couldn't mess this up.

I finally found myself standing right outside the theater doors, and took a deep breath before going in.

"You can do this, Lizzy. Nothing to freak out about." I said, pinching the bridge of my nose.

"You okay?" a voice asked.

I turned towards the voice and saw a man in his early 20's. Dark hair, amber-brown eyes that looked almost green kinda. He looked familiar, but I just couldn't put my finger on it.

"Totally fine. I'm supposed to interview the cast of Newsies for an article I'm going to write." I explained.

His face instantly brightened. "Oh! I'm Ben Fankhauser. I play Davey in Newsies. Someone told me a reporter was going to do some interviews. Come on, I'll take you in and introduce you to everyone."

Ooohhhh, so that's where he came from. No wonder he looked so familiar. I thought. I almost facepalmed at how clueless I was. His voice sounded nice too.

Ben walked us through to backstage, explaining the main things that went on as I jotted down notes and news. He introduced me to the cast members and the swings, and holy heck that was a lot of human interaction in one day. 

I decided to call it a day after I had seen about an hour and a half of what the cast and crew had been working on, and bid the friendly people adieu. I found Ben as I was leaving; he was packing up a few things and getting his stuff put together.

"Ben!" I called as soon as I saw him. His head whipped up, turning in my direction and immediately brightening.

"Lizzy! How did you like today?" he wondered, giving me a quick hug. (He was a great hugger, by the way.)

I squealed in excitement. "You guys are absolutely phenomenal! I didn't know how much work went into producing and creating Newsies, and even more work was put into bringing it to life."

Ben laughed. "Yeah, it seems like a lot of work already from the audience's perspective, but going behind the scenes opens up a whole new view about what goes on behind the scenes."

"Honestly, I don't know how you all can manage that." I agreed, nodding. "I can't even handle getting up in the morning and making myself breakfast!"

Ben laughed again. "Don't we all." He picked up his bags and motioned for us to walk out. "So, besides our work, what else did you think was cool?"

"I really loved the props you guys used. Very realistic." I explained, then proceeded to answer the rest of Ben's questions in detail while he listened intently. When we reached the parking garage, he set his bags down and engulfed me in a hug. 

"It was really nice meeting you, Lizzy. I really hope you can swing by sometime soon." he said as he pulled away, holding me by the shoulders.

"Oh, definitely. You guys are a fun bunch. I haven't had that much fun in a while." I replied. "I'll see when I can come back--" 

I stopped mid-sentence and facepalmed myself. "I'm such an idiot; how could I know when you all are here if I don't ask someone who's a part of it?" I laughed to myself. "Here, give me your phone so we can keep contact, yeah?"