fencing and feelings

based off art by @/can.s.m ; an amazing artist on instagram you should follow
~~

adjusting his mask, dan overheard some boys talking. dan was new to the fencing club but he'd been doing it for years; his family used to call him a natural.
the boys talking were on about dan and how he probably wasn't good. dan smirked as he overheard two specific sentences from phil and his friend, the longest runners in club.
'go easy on him?'
'yeah, he looks weak, i'll beat him..'
they all laughed as dan prepared to fight. phil walked over and held up his thin sword. the two bowed as to be polite and moved their dominant foot in front of them. their dominant hand holding the silver blade moved forwards in a point while the other flew upwards in a curated wrist.

'prepare. steady. begin!'
the two moved in a cantering motion. back and forth for a moments when out of nowhere, dan when from being polite to winning. he pushed forward with his sword and instead of cantering, pushed phil further and further back. phil retaliated minimal times but dan stopped it soon. phil was finally losing and dan was enjoying his sweet success as his partner fell to the ground. he scrambled around as dan lifted up his sword. in a clean motion of the metal blade, he slammed it between his legs, scraping by phil's leg.

'don't underestimate me again..understand?'
dan whispered to him.
phil shook his head saying yes but small so no one saw him admitting defeat.
dan pulled off his helmet and swished his hair before swinging his hips as he left the quivering boy on the floor. phil was starstruck by this new boy he assumed to be pathetic; turns out, he's quite the opposite.
phil eyes grew wide and his throat dry; was dan always this confident? he wondered many questions about the powerful boy drinking water by his bag.

'huh, never judge a book by its cover..'
phil mumbled.

~~
it's late and i'm tired. no proofreading, oh well.. that's a shame.