- Part 3

It's been nearly two weeks since our enrolment.

Toujou-sensei wrapped up her English lesson, and left the room. English was always an easy subject for me, since I could speak it fluently from a young age. Tadokoro was always asking me questions since she didn't know even the fundamental basics.

The bell rang. One more lesson before the start of lunch. It was going to be history with our homeroom teacher, Chabashira-sensei. She entered the room and began roll-call immediately. After finishing ticking names on her tablet, she placed it down on her desk and picked up a pile of papers.

It was getting more and more apparent everyday how carefree this class was. Out of twenty five students, only about eight of us took class seriously. The other seventeen didn't care whatsoever. One girl, her name was Kita Hana, didn't come to school altogether after the first few days. Gyaru like Fujimura Shouko and Suzuki Mayuri came late very often, and people like Yukimura didn't even wear the proper uniform.

"Ahem."

The class fell into relative silence, though there were still whispers, and Chabashira-sensei began handing out the papers facedown to everyone in the class. While doing so, she spoke.

"This lesson will be different. We will be measuring your academic abilities through this short exam. Don't worry, though. The scores you get here won't be reflected in your grade. We just want to see where everyone is at right now in terms of the five core subjects. You'll have the entire lesson to do this test, and we are to do it in exam condition. Is everything clear?"

Matsushita raised his hand straight away.

"Yes?"

"I'm sorry, Chabashira-sensei, but this test is so sudden. We aren't prepared at all. Can we get fifteen minutes beforehand to revise?"

With his charming ikemen smile, Matsushita suggested something everyone in the class would like. Sakigamiya raised her hand.

"I'd like that too, sensei!"

"Yeah, please, Shizuka-chan-sensei! Without this revision I'll fail!" Mitsuba exclaimed.

"I'm sorry, but I cannot allow that. This test is to measure you abilities. Revising just beforehand would defeat that purpose. Just try your best and answer as many questions as you can. I don't expect anyone to score 100% on this test anyways, because it has content that we haven't covered yet. Relax. It's not a midterm."

Why does it have content we haven't covered yet? It seems a bit pointless to put it on a test if we haven't even learnt it.

The class began complaining and had a sour attitude towards it. Chabashira-sensei announced that we could begin, and sat down at her desk. She moderated us as we did our tests.

Flipping the test over, I started checking what the contents were inside. The structure was simple. It was twenty questions for Japanese, English, maths, science, and history for a total of 100 questions. The test was also out of 100, so each question was worth one mark.

I started answering the questions, starting with English section first, as it was my best subject. Being fluent meant any content we've yet to cover wasn't an obstacle for me. I understood all of it, and was sure I'd secure a full 20 marks in that section at least.

Still, these questions were harsh. It asked about the complex grammar of the English language and used mostly exceptions to try and catch people out. The passive and active voice questions were probably the hardest.

The atmosphere of the class had gone really sour. No one was prepared, and many students were agitated. Yukimura looked like he was having a horrible time, while my neighbour Tadokoro was working earnestly despite her sweaty face.