Chapter 7: Caste Room

OST: Youkoso Jitsuryoku Main Theme 2

On May 1st, the morning bell rang for our homeroom. Soon after, Chabashira-sensei strode into the classroom holding her usual tablet, but her face seemed more stern than usual today.

"Alright, homeroom is about to begin. Before I start, does anyone have any questions? If so, now is the time to speak."

The clamouring students fell into silence. A couple looked at each other, before several students raised their hands.

"Uh... Shizuka-chan-sensei, I checked my point balance this morning, but I didn't see any deposits. Points are given at the start of each month, aren't they? I don't have any new points." Mitsuba said.

"Mitsuba-san, I've already explained this before. Points are deposited on the first day of the month. I can confirm that the points were wired this month without any issues."

"But... I don't see any new points allocated in my account either." Yukimura said.

Yukimura and Mitsuba exchanged concerned glances at one another. The rest of the class seemed to agree with their words.

I had also checked my point balance earlier this morning. I saw no deposits, but I assumed they were going to be wired later today.

"Are you kids really that dumb?"

Chabashira-sensei's words plunged the classroom's atmosphere into darkness.

"Dumb? Huh?" Yukimura stood up, balling his fist. "The hell did you call me, sensei?!"

"Sit down, Yukimura-san. For crying out loud, barely anyone seems to have noticed the hint I've given you. I'll explain it now to you lot, since it seems none of you here are capable of thinking for yourselves."

Yukimura growled and sat down.

"S-Shizuka-chan-sensei?" Mitsuba said, slumping in his seat and quivering.

"Points were deposited to everyone this month. That much is certain. There is absolutely no chance that we forgot about anyone in this class. Understood?"

Matsushita stood to speak on behalf of the class, rather than his own selfish concerns. He cared deeply about this class, and because a lot of us weren't thinking rationally, his leadership was very much needed at this moment.

"Chabashira-sensei. I understand, but that doesn't explain why we don't haven't gotten any points in our accounts."

That's right. If the points were distributed like she said, then why didn't we receive any? Had there been a discrepancy? Did that mean zero points were deposited in our accounts? Inside me, a vague feeling of doubt was growing.

Our class began to break out into low muttering. Chabashira-sensei's arms were crossed, but for the first time, we saw her smile.

"A whole class comprised of morons. How deplorable."

Chabashira-sensei's words silenced us.

"A total of 39 absences and 85 lates. 106 uniform infractions and 264 cases of unauthorised phone usage. 445 cases of talking during class and 480 cases of not listening or paying attention. 592 documented cases of other foul behaviour recorded outside of class. In addition, your test scores were abysmal and your performance during wartime was an absolute failure. Impressive figures for the first month of the school year."

The entire class fell into shock. Despite that, Chabashira-sensei continued her explanation in a robotic tone, devoid of any emotion.

"In this school, your class's results are reflected in the points you receive. As a result of your behaviour, you wasted all of the 100,000 points you should have received. That's what happened. This school judges students based on merit and measures them based on their abilities. This month, the school has evaluated you as garbage. That's all."