Enchanted

Homecoming went better than I ever could have expected. I didn't see Julie that whole night. Maybe she left early, maybe she was avoiding us, or maybe I was just having too much fun to notice or care. Jess and I danced  together and it reminded me of when we were little at his older sister's wedding. She was eleven years older than him, and had moved out when he was only seven and gotten married when he was ten and I was eight. It had been an enchanted night in my little eight year old mind.

                                                                                    ~*~*~*~

 The music flowed around me, a familiar tune I couldn't put the name to, and people were dancing all around me. I giggled as I twirled around in my blue dress. It fanned out around me, the flowers and butterflies stitched on the skirt became a blur the faster I twirled, until I started to fall. I panicekd as I fell until I felt arms catch me. I looked up into the smiling face of Jesse, my best friend ever. I giggled again, dizzy from spinning so fast.

 "Hi Jess."

 "You're gonna fall Abz." He said, standing me back up again.

 "Not if you're here to catch me." I said smiling.

 He smiled back and opened his mouth to say something, but he never got the chance. His sister, Noel, came up to us smiling. "You two are so cute!" Just then, a slow song came on. "You two should dance together!"

 I blushed fiercely. "I...I don't...know how."

 She smiled kindly. "I'll show you. She moved Jesse and I closer to each other. "Here, you hold each others hands like this, now you put your hand on his shoulder, and you put your hand on her waist."

 She stood back and admired her work. "See? It's not hard. You guys are adorable! You're going to get married someday, I swear."

 I looked at the floor, at the other people dancing, at the table with food, anywhere but at Jesse. Finally he spoke, breaking the awkward silence. 

 "I'm sorry, ma'am, but have we met?"

 I was far beyond confused. "Jess, it's me."

 "Me? Me who?"

 I giggled. "Me, Abz."

 "I don't know a Me Abz. It's good to meet you, miss."

 I decided I might as well play along with his ten year old shenanigans. "And you as well Mr...?"

 "Jesse." He smiled, obviously glad I was going along with him. "Just Jesse."

 "Oh, well nice to make your acquaintance Just Jesse."

 He smiled and a comfortable silence followed. I was getting tired and before I knew exactly what I was doing, my head was resting on Jess' shoulder.

 "You look really pretty." I heard Jesse say quietly. 

 I giggled. "Thanks."

 The song ended and we separated. 

 Jesse bowed and I curtsied. "It was enchanting to meet you, Me Abz."

 "And you as well, Just Jesse."

 He walked away and I watched him go. Noel rushed up to me, all smiling and laughing. 

 "You two are too cute! He loves you, I promise."

 I blushed. "I don't know. He's my best friend."

 Noel smiled. "That's what they all say."

 After we left, I looked out the window the whole drive home, wondering if Noel was really right. If Jesse really loved me like she said. 

                                                                                        ~*~*~*~