You Belong with Me

I danced around my room to my favorite song, using my hairbrush as a microphone. I was in my favorite fuzzy pajamas, jumping on my fuzzy covers, singing like a crazy person. It was great, such a nice break from the homework I had been doing for over two hours. The music was blasting loudly and my singing was almost just as loud.

 Somehow, I heard a tap at my window. Mortified, I looked out to see Jesse standing there, grinning at me with amusement dancing in his eyes. I sighed, turned off my music, and opened the window to talk to him. 

 "Hey Jess."

 "Nice, Abz." He said laughing. "I didn't know you danced. Or sang for that matter."

 "I try not to. For your own good."

 He shook his head. "Ready to go?" 

 "Um...actually..." I said. I fingered the tips of my hair nervously. "I'm not going."

 "Why not?" 

 "Because...well, I wouldn't want to be a third wheel." I said hurriedly. "And my friend Maddy is going to be out of town..."

 "Oh." Jesse said. He looked disappointed. "You wouldn't be a-"

 His phone rang; a recording that I remembered. I heard my own voice singing about how he should pick up his phone, then Jesse rapped, and we both laughed. I smiled. He had set that as his ring tone in sixth grade. 

 "Still?" I asked.

 "Still." He smiled and held up his phone. "Oh, it's Jules."

 Jules?

 "Hey Jules." He said. "Oh, I'm at Abz's house....yeah, I'm coming to pick you up.....well, I promised her mom I'd pick her up too.......no, she's not really going......I'll be right there......you're so demanding!" He laughed.

 I could tell he was joking. He loved saying things like that. I'd been called demanding many times, but I always knew he was kidding. That was just the way Jesse was. 

 "No! I didn't-......Julie......No, listen.....It's just a joke!"

 I shook my head. Of course she wouldn't understand.

 "I'm on my way, okay?......I'm sorr-.....bye." He hung up the phone. "I better go."

 "Have a good time?" I said.

 "I'll try." He smiled. "I wish you were going."

 "Thanks. See you later."

 "Bye."

 I watched him walk away and sighed. I wanted to go, but I had no one to hang out with. Sighing, I sat down to finish my homework, but soon found my eyes wandering to my closet where my homecoming dress hung. I had bought it at the end of eigth grade on sale. I had thought it would be the perfect dress and I had hoped I'd wear it as Jesse's date. No use letting it go to waste...

 I walked over and held it up to look in the mirror. It really was beautiful. It was a strapless baby doll pink dress with a ribbon and sparkles galore. 

 "Mom!" I called. "Could you give me a ride?"

 Before I knew it, I was in my car wearing my dress driving to the high school. I was nervous and excited. I didn't know what to expect or who I'd hang out with, but I was ready for whatever happened. My dress was covered by a long gray shawl I had draped around me. I didn't want to sparkle too much at the game. 

 When I got there, I waved to my mom, wrapped my shawl around me, and set off toward the stadium. 

 I always though our high school was weird for having the dance immediately after the game. As I entered the stadium, I noticed other girls in dresses, laughing, sparkling, and having a great time. I smiled. Even if it didn't end up working out with Jesse.....