Speak Now

"Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today..." The preacher droned on, his voice so monotonous it almost put me to sleep. 

 I carefully closed the door behind me as I snuck into the back of the church. It was decorated with pink and blue pastel, flowers, hearts, and cheesy pictures. It was dim, so nobody saw me come in. I saw the bride, with her poufy white dress with no back standing up at the alter with him. My man, my love, my best friend, my Jesse. He was all dressed up in a suit and had his hair combed and his face groomed. The girl was smiling and batting her eyes, and the people in gaudy outfits in the front row were crying dramatically. I assumed it was her family. 

 There was a window in the back with long, flowing curtains. I hid behind them as the preacher continued his speech. I was crashing a wedding and I didn't want to get caught. I could imagine her, floating down the aisle, smiling her annoying smile, thinking she was at the top of the world. But I hadn't come here to see the wedding and definitely not to see her. 

 Soon, the preacher had reached the line I was waiting for. "If anyone has any reason to keep these two from being wed, speak now or forever hold your peace."

 There was a silence, a pause that was meant to be brief and empty. It was my last shot, my only opportunity. I stepped out from behind the curtains and walked down the aisle.

 I cleared my throat and all eyes turned to me, wide and horrified. The girl stared daggers at me and her family was so shocked they had stopped crying. But I noticed none of that. I was staring straight into Jesse's confused and suprised eyes. 

 "I object!" I said loudly. I paused to take a deep breath, to gather my courage. "I'm not the kind of girl who should be...crashing a wedding..." I began. "But you," I pointed at Jesse. "are not the kind of boy who should be marrying the wrong girl."

 "You!" She said, stomping toward me. "You're her! That girl I made sure was taken off the guest list!" She tripped over her huge skirt and I could see Jesse's face behind her, shocked, as she fell. 

 "You took her off the list?"

 "Of course!" She shrieked, struggling to stand. "It was obvious she liked you! I didn't want her to ruin our perfect day and now, because she came, she has."

 "Abigail's my best friend." Jesse said. "I wanted her to be here." He looked over at me and I felt warmth climb up my spine. "I didn't just want her to be here...I wanted her to be standing at the altar next to me."

 My face broke into a smile as a collective gasp escaped the audiences lips. He looked down at the girl on the floor. "It's over."

 "No!" She screamed. "You're mine! She can't have you!"

 "No." I said, stepping forward and taking Jesse's hand. "He's mine."

 Suddenly, there was a loud beeping, like the sound of a fire alarm. Everyone started to rush out of the church. 

 Jesse looked into my eyes. "Abigail."

 "Yes, Jesse?"

 "Abigail!"

 "What is it?"

 "Abigail!"

                                                                                      ~*~*~*~*~*~

 "Huh?" I woke up, rubbing my eyes.  A dream? It had all been a dream? But it had felt so real.

 "Wake up sweetie." My mom said. "You'll be late for school."

 "Ahh!" I jumped out of bed and quickly went through my drawers. "Do I have time to shower?"

 "Nope. You can take one after school." 

 "Ugh!" 

 My mom left the room and I hurriedly changed into my clothes. I grabbed my backpack and raced out the front door. I pulled out my phone and dialed Jesse. 

 "Hello?" He answered.

 "Hey, you still picking me up?"

 "Oh yeah, on my way."

 "Okay, see you soon."

 "Bye."

 "Bye."

 I sat down at the curb and waited for Jesse. I thought about my dream. How strange. I wondered if I'd really do that in that situation. Would I speak now? Or forever hold my peace? Only time could tell.