Avery

THE NEXT HEROES: APOLLO'S UNDOING

AVERY

THE VOICE BEGAN its nightly session of insults and rants right after Avery changed into a skull onsie and climbed into bed.

"Avery, have you made your choice yet?" The Voice said.

"No, I haven't." She replied.

"You don't have long." the old voice croaked.

The Voice, Avery thought, sounded as old as life itself. Sometimes, it would screech and sound like long talon-like nails race down an old chalkboard. That was when it was angry. When it was happy it sounded like a twinkling star- if that's even possible. It normallsounded like an old man's voice though.

"I know, I know."

"You dispicable creature. You know you just choose."

"Okay."

"You should of died, you waste of space. You won't be a waste of space if you join me."

"STOP!" She screamed, fear evident in her voice.

Her bedroom door opened and revealed her father and mother looking at her in worry. Tears ran down Avery's pale face.

"Join me, Avery." The Voice said before disappearing for the night. Avery knew that it would be back tomorrow morning. It always came back.

"Stop... I'm a waste of space... I'm dark..." She muttered under her voice.

Her father came and sat down next to her and rubbed her back.

"Shhh. It's alright, Avery."

"No it's not. He's returning, dad, and he has Apollo held hostage."