chapter eight.

Elena didn't see much of Azriel over the next few days after that night, after which she'd awoken with a small smile on her face. She'd heard whispers here and there about him trying to figure out how the hell those things had gotten past the wards of Velaris.

Come to think about it, she hadn't seen much of Rhysand either. Or Feyre. Or the rest of his little Inner Circle. But she'd taken it upon herself to train, not allowing herself to get out of shape while she was here, even with her Fae body. So she'd trained alone, that was until two of Cassian's friends, Belle and Jake, had found her in that forest and watched her defend and strike, fighting against her own flames.

After a few minutes she got annoyed with them watching her, and turned, the flame disappearing into nothing. Had asked what the hell they'd wanted, to which the girl, who'd said her name was Belle, asked her to train with them. To help with her loneliness, apparently. Elena of course had rolled her eyes before begrudgingly agreed, to which the male had replied with a crooked grin, something in his eyes she couldn't quite place -- awe?-- before turning and flapping upwards with those mighty wings, Jake on his heels.

So now here they were, in a training ring, the pair dressed in Illyrian Leathers, as they'd called them, and Elena was in some clothes she'd found in the closet in her room, rather embarrassed.

"I don't have any of those fancy leathers," she says, looking them both up and down, leaning against the wall, her hair in a braid down her back.

"We'll bring spares tomorrow, I'm sure no one would mind," the girl says, shrugging, her hair short enough so it didn't have to be tied up, which was rather smart. Elena just nods at the girl, a grin forming over her lips.

"Shall we?"

***

Everything hurt.

The pair had worn her out, carrying on as her muscles barked in protest. So maybe she had been slacking a bit in Erilea. Just a bit.

She suppressed her wince as she sat down at the table, her silk blouse soothing her skin the best it could, the cool material sliding over her skin. Ignoring the raised eyebrow from Cassian as she begins to pile food on her plate, before she just looks up and raises one right back.

"Do you have something to say, you giant ape?" She asks the male, taking a sip of wine, conversation continuing all around them, although she knew the rest of the group was listening.

"Excuse me?"

"Oh I'm sorry, I forgot you only understood grunts and roars," she says, blowing the male a kiss as the whole table went silent as Cassian's eyes swept over her, as a predator assesses what it thinks is prey. Nobody saying a word until Mor, out of all people starts laughing her head off.

Laughing as she pointed a finger in Cassian's face who only rolled his eyes, looking back towards Elena as if to warn her. To which she just shrugged, a grin spreading over her face as the rest of the table joined in with Morrigans laughter. Including Azriel.

She'd tried not to look at him much during the course of the meal, but it was rather difficult as her eyes seemed to have a mind of their own, and wouldn't stop wandering. To the tattoo along the smooth skin of his neck, as her mind thought about running her tongue along the ink. Before she realised what the hell she was talking about, and banished all of those thoughts completely. Most of them at least.

When dinner was over, and everyone was leaving to go Wyrd knows where, Mor leant towards her and asked, "Cassian, Az, and I are going for a drink with a couple of friends, if you want to join us. But keep your tongue in check, Cassian doesn't mind a brawl and he doesn't lose very often," she warns. "Now, if you'd like to come then be down here in about ten minutes, and I'll winnow you down," she says, not allowing Elena to ask any questions, such as what the hell is winnowing, before she turns on her heel and walks away, leaving Elena with a rather stupid grin on her face as she walked back up to her rooms to get ready.

--

word count - 741!

heya, i promise the next update will be longer! ive been super busy with school and stuff so this is kind of just a filler x hope you're enjoying the story so far ive got so many plans and im rly excited ANYWAYS love u all gn 😚