Chapter 9

Shaurya had agreed to accompany Mehek till the city. He felt it was unsafe for her to travel alone. But he pretended that he was going to meet his mother and Nayani. Their journey was painfully silent. Shaurya was lost in thoughts while Mehek was tried to focus on the scenery. He found her texting frequently but refrained from inquiring. They have decided to be strangers and he will stick to it. Finally they arrived at a hotel where she planned to stay. "Can you please accompany me till my room?", she asked politely. He was unsure but she appealed, "I promise it won't take more than 10 -1 5 minutes". He agreed and they moved to her room.

Shaurya felt a bit uneasy when Azaan opened the door to greet them. He felt jealous that women he once loved  will be married to the perfect gentleman before him. "Azaan handles all my legal matters. He was kind enough to transfer properties back to your name in record time", Mehek tried to be cheerful yet the sadness in her voice was evident. She took papers from Azaan and gave it Shaurya, "It's all yours. Back to the legitimate owner". Shaurya never cared about wealth but still was glad, Atleast it could provide a comfortable life to his mother and secure his sister's future. He just nodded and just scanned through the papers. "Bye", he made a curt farewell and walked away briskly.

Azaan felt terrible for Mehek. He was unable to give her any hope. Shaurya was right in his position. He was cruelly betrayed by Mehek. Any other human would have behaved the same way. "I hope he will be fine", Mehek hiccuped tearfully. "He is a good man, Mehek. Even in his lowest point, he used his negativity to help those poor villagers. Almighty will always bless such people", Azaan consoled her while she wept. "He is not lost, Mehek but just in the way. Possibly in search of an aim. It could be anything. Advancement in career or being with his family or even entering a new relationship. Once he finds his beacon, he will become the man he once was", Azaan explained to her. "Azaan, I don't want to lose him", Mehek was quick to be on her foot. Before he could stop her, she ran out of the room.

Shaurya look a deep breath as he walked out of the elevator. He was stunned to find Mehek running down the stairs to meet him. She never gives up, his mind taunted. He acted to have not noticed her and tried to avoid her. "Shaurya", she called out to get his attention. "What now, Mehek?", he was indeed irritated. "When things cool down with time, will you consider to give us a chance?", she asked hopefully. "Are you born shameless or became like this over the time?", he humiliated her, "how many times do I have to tell you that we are never ever getting back together?". Mehek looked down being disappointed. Her self-respect was mocking her for begging a person who no longer bore any feelings but hatred towards her. She silently shed tears. Despite everything, Shaurya felt bad for her. "I get it that you are guilty. But you gave back everything that you snatched away from me. Atleast these wordly possessions", he held files, indicating his property, "Now go back and enjoy your life. You need not feel liable". Still Mehek remained sad. "Let's agree never to meet ever again. That's the best you could do for me", he mocked a salute and left her. 

Mehek watched him helplessly. She knew she had lost him forever yet she wished he would atleast turn back for a moment to look at her. Perhaps one last glance. Sadly he didn't. Her vision blurred by tears. Soon she felt dizzy and lost her balance. "Mehek!!!", Azaan's panicked voice startled Shaurya. Before either of them could reach her, she fell lifeless on floor. Azaan screamed at the security to bring in his car. Blood was oozing out of her forehead. Before he could further act, Shaurya had lifted her upon his arms. They quickly took Mehek to hospital.

Mehek winced in pain when she gained conscious. She tried to touch her forehead when Shaurya's voice shocked her, "It's a minor injury on your forehead. No stitches but you lost some blood". She was happy to see him but understood that he was just doing his duty as a doctor. "How are you, Buddy?", Azaan walked in and inquired cheerfully. Mehek smiled and mouthed the word, "Better". Shaurya stood behind with a smirk as if taunting their friendship. "Congratulations, Mehek", Azaan wished her. Mehek was puzzled by his words. He smiled and clarified, "You are pregnant".

Mehek's eyes widened in shock but soon they lit with pure joy. She touched her stomach and smiled looking at Shaurya. However, Shaurya looked displeased and tried to avoid her. "You are pregnant with Shaurya's child", Azaan gave the happy news again. "Excuse me?", Shaurya sneered at Azaan, "How can you be so sure that it is mine? It could be yours". "Shaurya!!!", Azaan tried hard to contain his anger, "I have already told you the truth about our engagement. It was just an act. I am already married to the woman I love. ". "Ofcourse, you are. So now it is convenient to dump your child on another man. Brilliant", Shaurya fumed. Mehek was literally torn by his cruel words. "Shaurya, it's yours. You were the only man with whom...", her voice whimpered away. Her distressful tears affected Shaurya. Yet he tried to be rude, "I want a DNA test to confirm the paternity". With those vindictive words, he left her.

Shaurya studied Mehek's report. She is about 10 weeks pregnant. Although he had accused her and demanded a paternity test, deep down he knew it was his child. A child conceived from their passionate union. A night that was so precious for him but a mere ruse for her to gain his trust. Later he had considered that night as a mistake. But today he felt rewarded. He felt as if God has provided him with a medicine to heal his wounded heart.

He stormed into Mehek's room while Azaan was sitting beside her. "We are getting married", he announced. Azaan was as shocked as well as Mehek but he soon smiled. "I will leave you two alone", he tried to excuse himself but Shaurya stopped him. "Azaan, please stay. I want you here as a witness", Shaurya made him stay. He turned towards Mehek and spoke, "I am marrying you just to for the sake of my child. So never expect me to accept you. We will live as strangers under one roof even if bound by matrimony".