s e v e n t e e n

Start from the beginning

"Come on." He took Frank's arm, beginning to roll up the sleeve. "This is huge on you."

Pushing those thoughts to the back of his mind, he snorted. "You're only like an inch taller than me."

"I know, but I like oversized clothes, and this is an extra-large." A redness tinted his cheeks as he smiled at what he was going to say next. "You do look adorable, though."

The jacket ended just above Frank's knees, the sleeves hiding his hands completely. His huge pale brown eyes reflected the light in his curious gaze. This, paired with his soft, fluffy hair, made him look like an innocent little puppy.

Instantly, Frank blushed, tilting his head forwards as he tried to keep a straight poker face, though the blush creeping up his neck didn't help. That feeling fluttered in his chest as if his heart were a manic butterfly. "You-you think so?"

"I wouldn't have said it otherwise."

Audibly, he swallowed the lump in his throat, "Thank you."

-

During fourth period art, Frank had insisted on returning the jacket, claiming he wasn't cold anymore, but Gerard had argued with the fact that Frank's cheeks were still red. Of course they were, but it was more from the embarrassment than the cold.

Although he felt weird wearing it, admittedly he loved that it just smelled like Gerard; coffee and cigarettes. If he hadn't been worried about people judging him, he would have hugged the jacket to his chest with his nose buried in it all day. Truthfully, he knew it sounded ridiculous, but it was like holding a piece of Gerard and it comforted him.

At the end of the seventh period, he didn't feel like handing it back anymore, so when he walked to the art rooms, he took his sweet time, zipping it up and pulling the sleeves down so it completely engulfed him.

The moment he opened the door, a booming voice came echoing through, causing him to stop dead in his tracks. Eyes wide, he peered in to 169a to discover it was Mr Knight's voice he'd heard.

Frank's fear further soared as his gaze landed on Gerard, who had the most frightened expression on his face while Mr Knight practically screamed at him. Any ordinary person probably wouldn't have been able to tell Gerard was afraid as he was keeping a steadily calm demeanour. However, Frank knew him well and noticed the way Gerard's eyes were slightly wide, the thin layer of sweat coating his skin, and the way his hands were held tightly by his sides.

Then Gerard's eyes darted to Frank, lips parted as he clearly didn't want anyone witnessing this.

"Look at me when I'm talking to you." Mr Knight demanded, rudely snapping his fingers in front of Gerard's face.

"Sorry, sir." He gulped quite loudly, feeling ten inches tall under the towering height of Mr Knight.

Before Mr Knight turned around to see what Gerard had been distracted by, Frank slipped next door in to 169b. Honestly, he thought Gerard was being treated like a child, but he didn't dare question Mr Knight as he was the most terrifying teacher in the school.

Eventually, Mr Knight left, and as soon as the coast was clear, Frank wandered cautiously in to 169a, mentally debating on whether to actually stand on the tips of his toes.

Gerard was slumped against the wall, staring up at the ceiling with his arms crossed over his chest, eyes half lidded.

"Hey," Frank said softly.

Gerard glanced at him from the corner of his eye, but didn't move or speak.

"Are you alright?" He bit his lip, hoping he wasn't going to make things worse.