"Amari, can we talk?" I asked.

She looked up from her phone and glanced around before nodding.

"Uh, privately." I said glancing over to where Lana and Chase stood listening to us.

Amari laughed and followed me outside.

"What's up?" She asked leaning against the building.

"I don't know. What's up with us?" I asked coming out with it. "We haven't talked or hung out in forever."

"Okay? What's wrong with that?" She asked.

"What changed at the banquet?" I asked crossing my arms and looking around nervously.

Amari

Besides the fact that I almost told you that I liked you? That I dropped the most obvious hint about wanting to be more than friends and you completely avoided the topic?

"Nothing." I shrugged.

"We'll always be just friends?" He asked repeating what I had said and I cleared my throat. "What's that about?"

Was there a point in hiding it? I mean, we weren't even friends anymore. At least, I didn't consider us friends anymore.

"Do you... Um..." He hesitated. "Like me?"

I sighed and looked down at my shoes.

"Does it matter?" I asked before glancing up at him again. "Will it change anything?"

"I mean... Honestly, no." Tyler shook his head. "I don't like you like that, but I still want to be your friend."

"Tyler, I don't want to be friends." I laughed. "I want to go on dates. I want to hold hands and kiss in public. I want to be with you."

"Amari..." I cut him off.

"What's so wrong about us?" I asked. "About being with me?"

"You're my best friend, Amari." He sighed. "We've spent years proving to people that we were only friends and you want to throw all of that away?"

"We already have at Naomi's party." I said with my eyes watering.

"Naomi." He said. "I like her, remember?"

"Why are you talking to me right now?" I rolled my eyes. "What was the purpose of this?"

"To fix our friendship." He said. "I didn't expect to come out here and have you confess your undying love for me."

I laughed bitterly and looked away.

"Tyler, I don't think we should be friends anymore." I said. "I think that this friendship has officially died."

"Amari..." He trailed off. "What about Hunter? He'll be heartbroken. And my Mom and Dad, too."

"What about you?" I asked. "If I walked away right now, how would you feel?"