twenty one

There's only one type of heartbreak to feel.

And Emma had only ever felt it once in her life.

That day when she saw Ethan kiss Meredith at the party.

That day, when all she could do, is run, cry, and think of how stupid she was the whole time through their relationship.

Things had been good for Ethan and Emma recently, and she really wasn't expecting what happened this morning.

But the tears soaking her pillow, and the voices screaming in her head told her she should've known. She shouldn't have trusted him, because all Ethan Dolan would bring was heartbreak.

He hurt her, and yet all she could do was still love him. Each salty tear that trickled down her cheeks didn't change how she felt about him.

That text, that one heart-breaking message, still couldn't change the love in her heart for him. Maybe she was an idiot, or maybe she just fell for the wrong person, but either way, right now, the tightening in her chest as she gasped for air was enough to know that everything was done.

Ethan Dolan was always the it boy. It's cliche, but to Emma, everything about their relationship was. She didn't want anyone else, and from the way he acted, he gave the impression he felt the same for her.

Emma could see a future with him.

She'd call herself crazy for thinking these things but, when Emma fell in love with Ethan, everyone else in the world was a blur, and he was the only light she saw in the darkness that surrounded both of their worlds.

She'd lay in bed, for hours and hours at night, thinking of what they both could become in the future.

She saw a huge house they owned together, with a light grey and yellow interior. He'd let her pick out the furniture, because he knew he was useless. And as much as he complained about not liking the colour of the walls, a joyous smile lit up his face when he stared at them.

She saw a family. One they had made together in their later years. She saw their three children running around the huge garden of their home, playing together in the huge treehouse that Emma always wanted as a child.

She saw her and Ethan laying, watching the sunset as their children giggled, playing games of tag like they both used to as children.

She saw family road trips, going to all the places that they to for dates so many years ago. They'd tell stories to them, all about how they both came to be, how they met, and how they fell in love.

And their love made their children believe that there was hope out there. Their love inspired the children to find some of their own one day. Their story was so amazing, that it made their children absolutely mesmerised by everything that they had been through together.

Emma pictured herself walking down the aisle, a veil hanging over her back and trailing behind her. Her eldest brother, James, attached to her arm as they progressed towards the front.

Their little girl trailing behind, as a bridesmaid, holding a bunch of flowers as her beautiful dress waved slightly in the breeze. Other bridesmaids followed down the aisle, including her best friend Ellie, and her mum.

Her eyes would meet Ethan's, that were blurred by the tears that were so close to spilling at the sight of his fiancé. Next to him stood Grayson, smiling almost as brightly as his brother, as he watched his best friend, and twin prepare to promise to spend the rest of their years together.

With Grayson stood their two boys, the eldest, and youngest. And they both watched proudly as their mother smiled brightly at them.

And they'd take the vows, tears streaming down both their faces as their promises to each other were sealed with a traditional pinky promise, something they'd always do, and of course, the wedding ring.

Their voices shook as they answered a genuine 'I do' and their chests exploded with happiness as their lips locked in confirmation. Everything they had been waiting for, had finally come to life. They'd finally be able to spend the rest of their days together, and get old together.

However, none of them weren't memories at all. Her thoughts were clouded in false hope, that one day, she'd be able to make these moments with Ethan happen.

Maybe someday they'd get justice after all, maybe someday the world would stop hating them, and finally give them some happiness. Maybe one day, just one day, their destiny would stop fighting with the possibilities, and they'd just be with each other.

They could just be good. With nothing in their way at all. Everything would turn out perfect for the both of them, and their future would be so bright.

The conversations about college would continue, and the plans to peruse a future close to each other would still go ahead. They'd still plan on going to the same place, and they'd still be together as everything began to work out.

But Ethan Dolan was just a liar in Emma Chamberlain's mind. Every single promise he had made was useless, and was fake. No matter how much she loved him, the way he hurt her was unforgivable.

It took a lot for Emma to move past his problems, and the way he left last time. But it broke her, when she found out that all the bridges that had been built, had just broke down again. Everything was back to square one, and it didn't seem like anything was ever going to move on.

Because Ethan, yet again, left her. The man that was once her source of light in the dark world, was now the man that created the darkness himself.

She was too blinded by his light to see through his lies, and now, sat sobbing like just a couple months ago, she'd finally seen it.

All it took was one message.

One painful message.

"Im sorry Emma, I can't do this anymore. We're over."

••••

1026 words

😳

Pls don't kill me