five

Ethan and Emma both woke up with smiles on their faces, and ready for the day ahead. Today, they were seeing each other for the first time in weeks, the first time since the incident with Meredith. Despite the anxious pit digging deep into their stomachs, they were both feeling quite confident about the events of today.

They were both up, going downstairs and greeting their families with an improved attitude than before. There was something about today, something about the fact that they finally got to see each other again, that brought an unexpected spring to their step. After eating breakfast, they both had deep showers, soaking away all bad feelings of anxiety, and got dressed.

Once they were both ready, the wait began.

Emma began pacing her room, not knowing when to leave for the twins house, and began panicking and stressing about what to do. A faint knock on her door put her actions to a holt, and when her mums face appeared around the door, she instantly took a seat on her bed.

She sat beside her on the bed, watching Emma overthink everything over and over.
"You feeling okay, hunny?" Sophia asked, breaking the silence, referring to Emma's pale face. She put her hand down, comfortingly rubbing the leg of her stressed daughter.
"Mhm" Emma mumbled, and her mum looked at her with unsure eyes.
"I don't know when to go to there house, I don't know what to say to Ethan when I get there, I don't know how he feels, I don't even know how I feel, and I'm scared that things will fuck up again" She rambled in reply, lowering her head down to face her lap in embarrassment, "I know it's stupid"
"Em, it's not stupid, you're scared, it's human. Remember this is Ethan we're talking about. This is the boy you loved- the boy you still love. You still have strong feelings for him, and I know for a fact he feels the same about you. You're more than comfortable around him, even if it isn't on the best terms, so what really is there to panic about hm?" Her mum reassured, and Emma nodded her head in defeat.
"You really think he still loves me? After everything?" She murmured, sadness laced in her voice.
"I know he still loves you, you'd be blind if you couldn't see it" Sophia giggled, causing Emma to smile.
"I'll text Gray" Emma said, playing with her thumbs, and her mum nodded in agreement.

Her mum whispered a quick bye and walked out of the room, after planting a small kiss on to her daughters forehead. Emma pulled out her phone and opened up Grayson's contact.

Grayson💙

Me
Hey Gray, I'll be round in 10 minutes :)

A couple seconds after, Emma's phone pinged, signalling Grayson's reply. He had texted back, saying that he would tell his brother. Emma nodded to herself, and put her phone away, finding her shoes, and slipping them on.

Once she had gathered all of her belongings, she said a quick goodbye to her family, who smiled wishing her good luck, and left to the twins house. Her drive was full of loud music, which she was humming along to, almost toned out completely by the voice in her head forcing her to overthink everything.

Meanwhile, Ethan was brought out of his trance and back to reality, by Grayson, who ran into his room.
"Bro, I just got a text from Emma, she's on her way, like 10 minutes" he spoke, his voice rushed, and slightly panicked.
"Do you think it'll be okay?" Ethan voiced, catching his brothers attention.
"As long as you don't come out straight away, and let her come to you. It's been tough on her as you know, and it won't be easy for her to see us both crowding around her like an animal. I doubt she wanted us hounding her as soon as she walks through the door" his twin advised, hitting his brothers back.
"Thanks bro, for everything, getting her to speak to me and all, I really ap-" his small a speech was brought to an end, by a shallow knock on the front door, that echoed through the now silent house.

Grayson pointed down the hall, and dismissed himself, running to answer it, leaving Ethan on his own. He began playing with his hair, and hands nervously, waiting to see her. It had been so long they'd gone without interacting.

They'd see each other in the halls, and he'd give her sad glances as she avoided their friend group. It wasn't just because of Ethan that she didn't hang out with them, she just didn't want the stress of everyone asking her things, on top of every random person doing it too.

Emma stood outside the door, playing with her thumbs apprehensively, waiting for someone to answer the door, and bring her out of her thoughts. Moments later, the door swung open, and revealed a friendly face she had been longing to see, who opened out his arms, and pulled her into a bone-crushing bear hug.

Ethan heard his front door open, followed by his brothers voice booming, welcomingly. He could hear chatter for a couple moments, however could not work out what they were saying.

Ethan obviously knew it was Emma, however he followed his brothers previous advice and didn't pressure her.

"Hey Em" Grayson shouted, walking up to her, as her arms clung to his back. She followed him inside, and took a seat at the island for a short while, talking a little with him. She couldn't help but glance down the hall to see where Ethan was, suspecting he was cooped up in his room.
"Stop overthinking, and go to him, he's waiting for you" Grayson whispered, kindly, and Emma worriedly walked down the hallway.

He head steps getting closer from down the corridor, followed by a weak knock on his door. He fixed his clothes, and walked up to the door, his eyes meeting the ocean blue ones he fell in love with.
"Ethan" Emma's frail voice spoke, timidly, her eyes trailing his body up and down.
"Hey Em" he whispered, with a slight side smile, "I missed you"

••••

1044 words

🥵

Love leaving you guys on cliffhangers :)