nineteen

"Hey, Hannah right?" A peppy voice asked from behind the bruised girl, who was sitting alone at a lunch table, with an ice pack over her face. Her head whipped around, curious to know who the familiar voice belonged to, and to be met with a small group of girls.

Meredith, Eva and Michelle all stood there, smiles brighter than the sun itself, however hardly inviting and more intimidating. Their bags, which had previously been slung over their shoulders, were now placed calmly on to the table, as they all sat down in front of her.

"What Meredith?" Hannah spat in spite. She may not like Emma right now, but it didn't give her any reason to hate Meredith any less.
"Wow, I guess you don't want our help, okay.." she fake sighed, attempting to get up, before being stopped by Hannah's slightly timid voice.
"Help with what" she squeaked, covering up her cowardliness with a cough, clearly embarrassed by seeming so weak.

Meredith's friends were purely just there for intimidation. Every person in their school feared her group, the popular girls who could ruin someone's life with just one look. Well, all but Emma and her friends; they didn't give a fuck at all.

"Well, I saw Emma beat your ass, and figured a lonely girl like you might need some new friends" Meredith mocked, sticking her bottom lip out in attempts to anger Hannah.
"Cut the shit, and tell me what you've got to offer" she spat in response, causing Meredith to put up her hands in defence, and her bitches to laugh along.

"I've always hated Emma, for taking Ethan, for standing up to me, and for all round being a bitch-" she explained, being cut off by Hannah's laugh.
"Yeah, like you don't know anything about that" she giggled, trying to sound slightly confident.

With an eye roll, she continued, "so, I thought, since you used to be her best friend, and know all the shit I can hold against her, we could, you know, team up?"
"You're serious?" Hannah chuckled in her face, confusion clear on her face too.
"Deadly. We could take her down, Han" Meredith smugly smiled.
"One, my names Hannah, keep it that way, and two, what makes you think I'll help you"
"Well, no offence" she started, "but you've got no friends, and you haven't really got a choice anymore, because everyone in this school seems to hate you already"

Hannah thought on it slightly, knowing that there was no going back from this, and if she joined Meredith and her bitches, she'd loose her friends forever.

"Okay. What'd you have in mind?" She gave in, her anger towards Emma rising, knowing the shit she's gone through today.
"Well first, you're going to have to tell me all her, and all her friends, dirty little secrets, and then, we'll start ruining her life completely" Meredith spoke, knowing that Hannah would easily open up as right now, she was in complete vulnerability.

"Alright" she sighed, "Okay, I'll tell you everything"

Meanwhile, after the argument with Ethan, Emma had been left stranded on the bench alone. She knew that he didn't need to call her later, as there was still the rest of the day to go, and they were going to have to see each other.

That either meant that they'd be ignoring each other all day, being stubborn as always, or it could mean that she'd have to apologise completely, and promise him that it won't happen again.

At the moment though, being stubborn sounded pretty good to Emma, and she managed to avoid him all day until lunch. She walked over to their table, quickly glancing and noticing that Hannah was alone on one right at the front of the room, a large ice pack covering her face.

Emma wasn't regretful, not even now after seeing the damage, and after her fight with her boyfriend. However, she was going to have to apologise sometime for it, even if she didn't mean it.

"Hey em" Grayson's inviting voice welcomed her, causing the rest of the group to turn and smile at her slightly bruised face. Ethan was sat between his brother and Amanda, and his head was facing the plate of food on the table.
"Hey guys" she breathed, her voice coming out exhausted.
"Any news on the teachers finding out?" Amanda's worried, causing Ethan's head to snap up, and his sad eyes to connect to hers.
"Not that I know of, I don't think anyone told a teacher, but I've heard people asking her what's happened, and a couple teachers asked me too" she replied, giving a sad smile Ethan's way, as his head dropped again.
"What'd you say?" Olivia asked.
"Just that I fell over at home, nothing to worry about" Emma shrugged.

She wasn't expecting what was next, and was very surprised when she heard Ethan's voice.
"Emma, can we talk?" He huffed, dropping his fork down on his plate.
"Yeah sure" she agreed, quickly picking up her bag and following him into the halls.

He stopped her in front of some lockers, and before she could speak, his hand found the back of her neck, and pulled her close, her lips meeting his.  They were completely consumed in one another in that moment, pouring out all anger into that one kiss.

"I'm sorry" Emma mumbled, as she pulled away.
"No, Em, I'm sorry. You were defending Amanda, and I need to respect that. You were just being a good friend" he smiled sadly.
"I know but you were right. I shouldn't be getting into fights all the time. It's just, some of the shit Hannah said really hurt Amanda, and me as well. I thought she was different" Emma sighed, defeated.
"I just hated seeing you hurt, and I still do, and I tried to put you first, baby, but it turned out with me being selfish instead, and I'm sorry" he apologised again, and she smiled in response.

Her lips latched on to his once more, showing her forgiveness, before they left back into the lunch room, much happier than before.

••••

1025 words

🔶

Might not be writing as much bc school starts soon :/