I pictured that and laughed out loud. Derrick found that amusing too, because he laughed along with me.

"You know, I still laugh at that, no matter how many times she tells me about it. And it's actually very embarrassing for her especially when AJ uses it to bait her."
He smiled with his eyes against the road.

"I can imagine." I said and laughed again. "Wow. I'm glad she actually likes TJ."

"Ah, she would. She's been taunting all of us to be quick and get married so she can have time for the little Jacobs."
He said, chuckled and shook his head.

I understood his thoughts. Those wishes didn't come true in time for her to enjoy them. I couldn't stop my hand when it reach out to press against his right arm.
"Pull over."
I whispered.

He did as I asked and pulled into an open field, killed the engine and the only thing we heard was the voice of Simi and Maleek Berry's Immortal.
No one said a word. I was the one who wanted him to pull over and now it seemed like we both didn't have anything to say to each other.

"I thought. . . I wanted her to enjoy us all for a while. I didn't know. . . She didn't tell anyone."

"She will stay a while, Derrick."

He sighed. "I wish I was that strong, Melanie. I wish I am that strong to hold unto what you just said."

"That's what she needs, Derrick. Your strength. She wouldn't want you all looking at her with pity. That's not what she came here for. She came so she can spend some time with her children. And you all have to give her that. I'm sure that's why she didn't tell you all. I understand her reason, Derrick. I wouldn't want to let TJ know of how sick I am anyway. Because I wouldn't want him to worry."

He turned to me. He stared at me for what seemed to be a long ass time.
"I hope I'm not putting pressure on you, Melanie. I know this is a bit selfish but. . ."

"Ssh."
My finger was faster than my brain, I guess. I was already placing a finger against his lips before I could think. And that was a bad idea. I thought the weird feelings that comes with contact, only happens in the movies. But I just felt it. I tore my finger away from his lips when I felt the moist touch of his tongue.
"Eww! You are so disgusting!"

He  laughed.

"Mind your self o, Mr. Jacob."
I said, pointing my fingers at him playfully.

"I don hear, Miss Okoye."
I couldn't help myself. I just had to laugh because it was hard not to laugh at the sound of that shabby attempt.

"Okay, just a piece of advice; Don't attempt speaking pigin even in the next three years, Derrick. You sound like a . . .I don't even know what you sound like."

He smirked. "But that was a nice try, wasn't it?"

"Nope. Not even close."
I laughed again.

He smiled and stared at me.

"What?"

"Nothing. Let's go?"

"No, you're not getting off easily, Derrick. Tell me."

"I like keeping you in suspense, don't you remember?"
He said and shook his head, driving into the road.

I remember clearly and I smiled at that. I glanced at him and watched his serious stare at the road and how looked side to side just to join in the traffic.

Then, i remembered Gina. Just how she was able to cut into my thoughts without trying was overwhelming. I glanced at him again. The urge to ask him about her ate me up. The sound of my  phone, ringing pulled me to reality.
"Hello? Hey, Henry."