Read My Lips: Chapter 25

Start from the beginning

With that, he smiled once more before turning around and leaving the room making sure to close the door behind him. I stared at the door for a while after he left before I finally snapped myself out of my gaze and looked down at the phone in my hand.

After typing in the only number, besides my own, that I knew off by heart, I held the phone up to my ear waiting for an answer.

The phone only rang a few times before my frantic voice answered. “Hello?”

“Mum,” I sighed. “It’s me, Maisie.”

My mum gasped from the other side of the phone. “Maisie! Where on god’s earth have you been?”

“I at Zach’s house, I forgot my phone so I couldn’t phone you then I realise how late it was so I borrowed his phone to call you.” I rushed out.

I could hear the sigh of relief that mum let out after I told her where I was. Not wanting to tell her about the whole Max and Paul fiasco, I just told her I was here. She didn’t have to know. She didn’t have to have the extra worry.

“You scared me so much. Are you staying at Zach’s tonight?” She asked.

“You’re allowing me to stay here?” I questioned, shocked at her own question. Was she seriously going to allow me to stay at my ex’s house?

Mum laughed down the phone. “You sound so shocked. I trust you, Maisie. I know you wouldn’t do anything stupid. I raised you, you know.”

“I know, mum,” I laughed. “But yeah, I ask if I can then I just come home tomorrow morning.”

“Ok sweetie. Have a nice time, I love you.”

“Thank you, I love you too.” I answered before hanging up the phone.

I grinned down at the phone before letting it drop onto the bed. Jumping up, I made my way downstairs in search of Zach. I found him in the kitchen, leaning against the bench eating from a pack of cookies.

“Want one?” He grinned, holding out the pack for me to take some. I took a few before leaning on the bench beside him.

“Is your mum asleep or is she out?” I asked, nibbling on one of the cookies that I’d taken.

“She’s in bed; do you want to stay over?” Zach asked.

I smiled gratefully at him. “Do you not mind?”

Zach chuckled, putting his arm around my waist and pulling me into his side. “Of course I don’t.”

“Will your mum mind?”

“She liked you, she won’t mind at all.” He reassured.

“Then I’ll stay.” I smiled, wrapping my arm around his waist and hugging him.

I turned around in his grasp so that I was facing him. There were so many questions from what happened before that were running through my mind. So I just decided to go for it and just ask him the first one that sprung to my mind.

“How did you know where I was?” I asked. I lifted my hand up to his face, hovering slightly before just going for it. I gently moved some of his hair from his forehead whilst I waited for a reply.

“Max and Paul called me up saying how they had you. They were basically using you to get to me. They wanted me to fight for them, like you heard. And I did that, I broke up with you so that you wouldn’t get hurt. He threatened to hurt everyone I cared for. Everyone I loved. I never meant to hurt you; by the way, I just wanted to make sure that you were safe. As you can see, that plan didn’t really work but anyway.