Read My Lips: Chapter 9

Chapter 9

I had my outfit chosen. It had taken me all night but I had finally found the perfect outfit for tonight.

Dark grey jeans, flat white ballet pumps and a white vest top which kind of tied around the neck. It was perfect, I was sure. I'd made sure that I also had a thick cardigan chosen to keep my warm.

It was at night, it was during November which meant it was almost guaranteed to be cold. And I hated the cold; with a passion.

Although I was excited for tonight, I had to contain it because first, I had to go to school. How fun. It still confused me how Zach and his friends didn't know I was deaf. Considering I'd been going to that school for a while now and pretty much everyone knew... how didn't they?

Well, maybe it was because of the fact almost everyone was scared of them. But they had to have heard people talking, didn't they? Because, they could hear. They weren't deaf. I didn't understand how they didn't know.

Unless they did but they weren't saying anything. However, I highly doubted that. Why would they miss the chance of getting to tease someone? They wouldn't look bad for doing it either considering loads of people did it. So it was a win-win situation for them.

Deciding to just forget about it, I grabbed my school bag and made my way to school. My dad gave me a lift before he headed off to work. No one really cared who was dropped off by their parents considering no one was old enough to drive yet. We were all 16-17, some were 18 but none of them had conquered the task of driving. So, walking, getting the bus or a lift was the only option.

After putting what I didn't need into my locker, I made my way to tutor. I liked tutor the most. Amy or Luke weren't in the same one and no one really bothered me which meant I could be left alone.

But today wasn't one of those days where I could be alone because we had a new student.

The head teacher walked in with a timid looking girl behind her. She held her folders close to her chest as she stared at the floor. "We have a new student today. This is Rebekah. Please, make her feel welcome." Our head teacher announced. I watched his lips carefully so I could make out what he was saying.

Our tutor, Mrs Smith, made Rebekah sit in the seat beside me considering I was the only one with a spare seat beside me. I pulled my bag from the chair and placed it on the floor beside my chair. Then, I looked over at Rebekah. She was beautiful. And she was staring right at me.

Her bright blue eyes stared into my own. "Hi!" She grinned, giving me a little wave.

Like the idiot I was, I turned behind me to see if she was waving to someone behind me, but no one was standing there. Obviously Maisie.

"Urm, hi." I answered awkwardly not bothering to wave back. I could already tell that she was one of those people who were happy all the time. Not that it bothered me though; I could use someone who was happy towards me.

"I'm Rebekah. But you already knew that," She giggled, placing her hand to her mouth to cover it as she laughed. I already liked her. "And you're Maisie. Nice to meet you."

Is it bad to say that I was struck with her beauty? "You too." I smiled.

I didn't want her to think that we could be friends. Mainly because of the fact that as soon as she left this classroom, everyone (most likely Amy and Luke) would tell her why no one talked to me. Then she'd probably do the same as what they did, not that I'd blame her.

Mrs Smith handed out the task book and wrote the exercises on the board of what we had to do. I opened up my book and started on the first one. I was only about half way through the second question when I felt someone poke me in the arm with their pen. Looking to my side, Rebekah was staring at me, a confused look on her face.