Read My Lips: Chapter 2

Chapter 2

 I walked into the front door of my house to be met with the smell of my mum’s cooking. She’s the best cook ever, her food’s amazing. Something smashed into my legs making me look down to see my little brother, Austin, hugging my legs.

“Hi buddy,” I grinned, picking him up and resting him on my hips. “Let’s go see mum.”

“Hi sweetie, how was school?” She asked, once she’d turned around from the cooker where I’m guessing she was cooking tea.

“It fine.” I lied. I didn’t want to tell her about been bullied at school, I didn’t want to worry her. She probably had enough trouble with me been deaf.

“Good, I’m just making dinner, do you have any homework to do?”

“Not today,” I smiled, setting Austin in his dinner chair and ruffling his blonde hair. “Where’s daddy?”

“He’s in the living room baby.” She smiled, walking over to kiss my head before going back to making the tea.

I left the kitchen and made my way into the living room, where my dad was sat in his chair reading the paper. He must have heard me come in because he looked up, a smile on his face.

“Hi, princess.” He smiled, opening his arms as a gesture to hug him. I used to do this all the time when I was younger. I’d lay my head down on his chest and feel it rumble when he laughed.

“Hi daddy.” I grinned, sitting on his lap and wrapping my arms around his waist. I didn’t know if he was talking or not but I just enjoyed the comfort of his embrace. Nothing beats a giant bear hug off your daddy.

I don’t know how long I was sat there, but I felt myself dozing off only to be jerked awake by my dad. I pulled back and looked at his face to see what was wrong.

“Dinner’s ready.” He smiled, I nodded my head to him before getting off his lap.

After dinner, I kissed my parents and brother good night before heading up to my room. After showing, I changed into my pyjamas and settled down into bed with my book. It was quite boring, not been able to listen to music, or watch TV. But, I guess you get used to the silence.

~*~*~*~*

I woke up the next morning to my mum shaking me. I groaned before sitting up in bed and rubbing my hands over my face.

“Come on, get up baby, go get washed.” She smiled, pulling the covers of my bed back.

“Ok.” I moaned, dragging myself out of bed and into my bathroom that was connected to my bedroom. That’s one of the many perks of your dad having a good job. He earns quite a lot of money meaning we have a big house.

After getting washed and brushing my teeth, I pulled my hair up into a loose ponytail. I walked over to my wardrobe and pulled out a pair of skinny jeans and a baggy jumper before going to my drawers and choosing some matching underwear.  I could smell something delicious coming from downstairs, so I quickly grabbed my school bag and ran down the stairs and into the kitchen where my mum was plating up pancakes.

“Here’s some pancakes, get them down you.” Mum smiled, placing them on the table in front of me along with the bottle of golden syrup.

“Thank you.” I grinned, digging into my food.

My mum was the best cook ever. After I went deaf, mum gave up her job so she could look after me full time, then when I was 14; she had Austin so there wasn’t really much point in her going to work. So I guess she spent her time cooking, which is a good thing because now, she makes the nicest food ever.