Chapter Nineteen

The man looked at a different cowboy and said,
"I'll take her Jake, this is the one I been looking for. Here's two-hundred for her."
Then men nodded, took the money and handed the man my rope. Traitors.
Then they turned and rode to the herd. And I was left to face him.
He turned and tugged on the rope. Numbly, I followed.
We traveled for four hours until we came upon a cozy log cabin with a small barn and paddock attached to it. I viewed the area carefully. I needed to escape soon. Needed to escape him.
He led me to the barn and put me into a stall. Then he stepped in. I backed against the wall with my ears back and teeth bared.
Liberty
I flinched and hurriedly shoved him out of my mind. He growled and yelled,
"Damn it listen to me! I know it is you! I have been looking for you for about two months! Following rumors and tales. And finally, in a ranch herd, I find you standing all snuggled up against another stallion! Why would you do that to me?!"
He looked into my eyes, his own forest green eyes beseeching and tired, and I withheld my sympathy. And I spoke my thoughts.
It never stopped you from being with her. I left to protect myself. I didn't plan on returning. I still don't. So don't think you can boss me into coming back. I left behind humankind. Abandoned my own human skin. All to escape you. Seth Parker.
I spat out my last sentence vengefully. Angry making me tremble as I recalled that day. That horrible day when I saw my mate with a half naked woman.
I had to shut my eyes and turn away. I couldn't look at him.
He was quiet. Then I felt his hand upon my neck. Electricity tingled along my skin. How badly I wanted to lean into him. Shift human and curl into his arms. But I couldn't forget how badly he hurt me. And I leaned away from him.
But Seth was always stubborn. He stepped forwards and leaned against me. If I could have whimpered I would've.
"Liberty, I would never hurt you. Brittany came while I was sleeping. She poured the alcohol into my mouth and when I awoke I was drunk. She had her shirt off already. I tried to get her to leave. But she wouldn't go. I tried baby. And when you came, you ran before I could explain. I had this whole romantic thing planned out for you. Please look at me."
I had turned my head away. Too many feelings crashing through me. I remember seeing a papizon chair. And chocolate milk. Oh how I missed my chocolate drug.
I must have whimpered slightly. Because Seth's arms wrapped around me and he leaned against me.
Tears welled from my eyes and slid down my cheeks. He brushed them away and murmured quiet, meaningless, comforting words to me.
"Will you shift back?"
I closed my eyes.
Maybe tomorrow. I need peace and time to think.
He nodded and opened the gate leading to the pasture. Then he walked to the house. I gazed after him for a bit, then turned and walked into the pasture. Soon I found a quiet, secluded pond with an old, weeping willow growing close beside it. I lay at the willows roots, staring at my reflection. Blue and brown eyes gazing into my own. Eventually I fell asleep. And I dreamed. Yet I don't remember it. But I know that the dream helped make up my mind.

When I awoke the next morning. I stood and stretched. Then looked towards the house. I walked to the barn and when I went in, I saw a small pile of clothes. My clothes. I gazed at them a long while before taking them and going into a stall. I took a breath and shifted. I watched as my fur receded and my mane and tail vanished. I stood. Gazing at my skin. Which looked and felt so foreign. It saddened me. I wanted to return to my horse form and gallop away. But I didn't.
I dressed and stepped out. My clothes still fit me, but they were slightly big. What was by wild horse standards plump, was actually slightly thin in human. My stomach growled and I made my way to the cabin.
Before I got there, the door opened. And Seth stepped out.
He looked worn and haggard. Twice his young age. When he spoke, his voice was weak, yet immense reliefs was there.
"I thought you would leave me again."
I couldn't help it, I stepped forwards and was clutched tightly to his chest. He buried his face into the crook of my neck. I sighed. Happy, yet at the same time sad. I had grown to love my rugged, wild life. But one gave up things for love.

-----Seth-----
It felt so good to hold her again. I breathed in her scent. She smelled wild. Of the sun and rain and wind. I new this smell would forever be hers. No soap or anything else would replace it. It saddened me. In a way. These smells would forever say she ran free. Just as the wind now ran in her veins. Every few years, the wind would call her to it. And she could either fight it, or run free. I did not want to lose her again. So I would fight with the wind for her.
She stirred and I stepped back reluctantly. I called to her.
Come inside. I made breakfast.
She blinked then turned to follow me. I reached the porch and looked back. She'd stopped along the way. And was gazing out to the wilds. I wanted to run over and scoop her up. But I didn't. She would come, or she would go.
She stood that way for awhile, and I thought id loose her again. Then she tore her gaze away and followed after me.
After eating, she stood and went outside. When I came out, she was sitting on a hill gazing over the world she left behind.
Liberty, we must return home, your family is missing you.
She blinked, and panic went through her eyes. She looked wild.
Then she calmed down.
"Will we travel in out true forms?"
I grimaced slightly at her calling her horse her true form. But that was how she was. She had stood up to stretch, and now turned to look at me.
"Yes, will you be able to handle the journey?"
Her eyes flashed.
"Why wouldn't I? I handled myself fine these past months."
She shifted, and I gazed at her.
She stood tall and proud. Her mane and tail were long, with burrs and twigs in them. Her proud head was held high, her forelock covering one eye. She seemed to have grown, yet she was still the same size. She looked wise, and and muscles rippled as she stood. She had changed. She was not the same Liberty.
I shifted, and we touched noses. Then she gently nipped me and took off. She ran smoothly and gracefully. Her head high. Before she went, she always ran with her head low. Not anymore.
I cantered after her and she ran by my side, letting me lead. Her parents had forgiven me long ago. They'd understood, but the still missed her badly. I was quite sure she wouldn't go back to school. She already knew it anyway. I finished a month after she'd gone. My father had given me a year to find her. Then when I got back, I would take over the herd. With Liberty as my lead mare.
For now, I was content to run with her by my side. She ran happily, carefree and wild. Sometimes she's toss her head and buck around. Other times she'd speed ahead.
Oh my wild Liberty, how will you ever be content to stay in one place?

A/N: so? Whatcha think? Don't be shy my readers, I do not bite. So comment, vote, anything. Id appreciate hearing y'all's thoughts on the story. So I've been thinking, the story is soon to end (I know, I don't want it to either!) and I don't know if ill do a sequel. If I did it would probably be about one if their kids. I don't know yet. It's up to y'all. And, Im thinking about doing a cover contest. I will tell you guys if I decide to have one. Later my lovely little readers!