Chapter Sixteen- Liberty

I enjoyed the warm sun on my back as I grazed on the lush grass in my mini meadow in a valley id found last week. I hadn't liked grass much at first, but id gotten used to it.

It was pretty peaceful here. I was about 10 miles from town. I moved farther away everyday. So far no one had come after me. I was surprised and relieved. And a little sad. And the sadness never went away. Ever since I found Seth with.....her, the sadness had lodged into my heart like a thorn.

I shook these depressing thoughts away and focused on grazing. I'd have to move on again soon. Because of my mark I would never be able to stay in one place for more than a week. Unlike werewolves, mates didn't die if they were apart too long. No, the mark only caused us to keep moving, forever a gypsy when we were apart from our mates. I started calling myself Gypsy. I mean, new life yeah?

*SNAP*

I threw my head up nervously and looked around. A bad smell hit my nose and I scrambled backwards, my nose wrinkled in disgust. I heard a low growl and my confidence left me. I turned and hauled butt.

Something roared, and a long, tawny body leapt from the brush after me. I screamed an almost human scream and ran faster. No longer was I racing my brothers, no, I was racing for my life. This lion wanted to kill me! I had never been so afraid for my life. But I'd also never been angrier. If Seth hadn't betrayed me, I wouldn't be here running for my life through some wild country with a bloodthirsty lion on my tail. That bastard! Anger fueled me on, and I ran faster. The lion did not give up however, and I tried to think of a way to escape it. I couldn't run forever. Suddenly, a tall wire fence loomed ahead of me. It was high, but I'd just make it.

I gathered myself, and jumped. My back hooves grazed just the top, but I made it! I stumbled landing, but did not go down. I turned to see the lion hiss and growl at me, then turn and run back the way we came. Ha! I outsmarted the lion! Dumb cat. I turned and trotted away, looking for water.

Eventually, I came across a little clearing with apple trees and a pleasant stream running through it. I hurried to it and waded in. The water felt good on my sweaty self. I drank until I was full.

When I finished, I splashed out and shook off. Then I grazed on fallen apples. They were sweet and ripe!

I dozed afterwards until morning found me. I grazed and drank, then my gypsy habits urged me to move on. Maybe I'd find a herd. Herds were always moving, offered protection, and best of all, company. I was a bit lonely, but I didn't want any human company. No, I was sick of people.

So as I wandered along, slowly making my way north, a new smell came to me. Faint, but there. It was the smell of many horses! It'd take me a few days to get to them, but I'd make it! They would accept me and I'd be safe and happy.