chapter eight

Lee.

Last night was the best and worst night of my adult life. Best, because I could share the other part of me with my whole fucking world and worst, because my responsibility as a dom forced me to cut the experience short.
As soon as I left the room, my heart sank. I needed to know what Hunter thought, what he felt, what he wanted to know, to do, what he wanted to ask... I was supposed to be there.

James dropped hard. Even though he was very eager to play with Sophie, his insecurities hit him full on. His drop convinced him that I didn't really want him to be involved with her. Which resulted in me telling him that I would not have told him to, if I didn't want him to.

Finally, after I took him to his apartment, gave him a bath and fed him did he calm down. Unfortunately, this took all night and it was nearly 2am when I left his place. I knew Hunter had a 6am shift so I decided not to call him, he wouldn't have stayed later when he has work in the morning.

Grumbling, I headed back to the club where I immediately found Sophie. She told me that Hunter seemed perfectly fine, excited even. She said that he went home about half an hour after I left and had asked her to thank me for everything. Not exactly ideal, but not a train wreck either.

I went home after that and jacked off to images of Hunter palming himself as soon as I hit the shower. I closed my eyes and pictured his green ones. His tongue darting out to lick his lips. The way he grabbed the armrest. I pictured him looking up at me through his lashes the way he did when he knelt down in front of me earlier. I pictured his smile and his laugh and before I knew it, my seed is coating the shower wall. I leaned back against the opposite wall and took a few moments to catch my breath.

Fuck.

---

My internal clock wakes me before my alarm has the chance to and I'm up and out the door by 7am. I jump in my car and drive to Starbucks, determined to show Hunter just how much happier I can make him than this asshole wannabe dom he's seeing.

I grab us both a coffee and a breakfast sandwich before heading to the fire station.
I park in the visitor's lot and make my way to the lobby. I hear him before I see him and immediately, I feel alive. Rounding the corner, I find him sitting at a table with Brian; laughing and shaking his head. Two other firemen are sitting on a couch, both on their phones and not paying attention to much else.

Hunter sees me out of the corner of his eye and immediately gets up. We meet in the middle of the room and I throw my free arm around him, pulling him close.

"Hi," he says softly and nuzzles the space where my neck and shoulder meet. His action sends shivers down my spine and I fight the urge to kiss the fuck out of him. Hunter pulls away slightly and beams at me.

I start to smile back when I hear a throat clear to my right. Pissed, I whip my head in that direction and come face-to-face with who, by the looks of things, is Brian's brother.
Before I can react, Hunter sheepishly removes my arm and takes a step back. Feeling rage and possessiveness bubble up inside of me, I narrow my eyes at the stranger, stand up straighter and direct the meanest fucking glare I can muster toward him. His eyes widen and he falters for a few seconds before he pulls himself back together again and crosses his arms. Raising my eyebrows, I stare him down until he finally gives up and huffs before sitting down.

Points to Gryffindor.

With a smug smile, I turn to Hunter and hand him his breakfast. His eyes light up and he squeezes my arm in thanks.
"What's that?" Asshole over there asks and I'm about to tell him it's none of his business when Hunter squeezes my arm again.

"Lee sometimes stops by to bring me breakfast. He knows how often I forget." Hunter looks between us with a hesitant smile and suddenly I feel bad for causing tension. I don't want Hunter to be upset about anything, ever, so I swallow my pride and offer Asshole my own breakfast before bidding them goodbye.

"Lee!" Hunter calls after me and I wait for him to catch up. "Hey," he smiles. "Thank you for that, I... thank you." My heart melts at the sight of his shy smile and I have to force myself not to reach out to him. "Stop by the club later? I want to talk to you." I make a point of keeping our eyes locked. When they do, it's as if we're the only two people on earth and I know he feels it too. He nods and gives me a brief hug before he makes his way back to the table.

Back to Asshole.