chapter two

Lee.

Sunday finally rolls around and I do one last walk around the house to make sure it's decent.
Sophie and Hunter show up at the same time and they make themselves at home while I grab the phone to order pizza. We spend the whole day goofing around and shouting at the TV. When it gets dark, I check my phone to make sure Club Deck's day manager, Ron, has everything under control before I get up to stretch my legs. "You guys want another beer?" I ask my two favorite people. They both say yes and when I return with three new bottles, Hunter clears his throat.

"So uhm, I wasn't sure how to bring this up because I knew you guys would have questions. I don't blame you, I would too if the roles were reversed but honestly, I don't have the answers myself." He bites his lip nervously and normally I'd zoom in on the action but this time I'm too curious about what he said. "What are you on about, Hunt?" Sophie asks and I raise my brow in question too.

He sits up straighter and rubs his palms on his thighs, something he does when he's nervous. Now I'm even more intrigued. "As you guys know, I haven't been on a date since Stacy," he starts. My hands automatically clench around the beer and I grit my teeth at the mention of his ex-girlfriend.
Hunter and Stacy dated on and off for about 2 years but he broke it off officially about a year ago. As selfish as it is, I've been lucky that he hasn't dated anyone since because seeing him with Stacy was the hardest thing I've ever had to go through, and I had a pretty fucked up childhood.
Sophie jumped up and clapped her hands yet again. "Who is she? Who is she!" She shouts and my heart drops past my balls and down to my feet. It had to happen eventually, I tell myself.

I look back at Hunter to see him press his fingers into his lean but muscular thighs and take a sip of my beer, preparing myself.
"Actually... " he starts. "It's a he. I'm going on a date with a guy." I spit my beer out and choke on whatever is left in my mouth. Hunter jumps up and hits me on my back till I calm down.
HE?? Hunter is going on a date with a guy?? I don't know if I should be happy that there's more of a possibility for us or if I should be heartbroken that the guy to turn Hunter gay isn't me.

I'm too shocked to say anything but Sophie squeals and jumps on him. She starts talking animatedly and throws her arms in the air every now and then. I zone them out and stare blankly at the floor, being selfish but unable to express any emotions. If Hunter considered being with a guy, he knew I was right there and that we had this otherworldly connection. He knew and he still chose some stranger. I need to be alone. I need to be alone now.

I forced myself back into the moment and when I looked up, Hunter's eyes were already on mine. He looked confused, worried... sad. His emotions shocked me and all of a sudden I felt like the world's biggest asshole. He must be so confused and here I am not showing any support whatsoever. I mentally hit myself on the head and scoot closer to my best friend. I push back my dejection and throw my arm around him, smiling as wide as I can muster.

"Welcome to the start of your new life, babe."