Chapter Fourteen

So I'm not going to write about planning the wedding because I find that to be very boring, personally. So we're just skipping a week or two ahead to the actual wedding.

Ferox's POV

Ruby's been dancing all over the house, I can feel the excitement for every thing bubbling just below the surface. Her wide smile and giggle make me want to marry her tonight, wherever, whenever. I remember every time I see her why I love her so much.
I stand outside two great oak doors. Beyond them, my love awaits in white.

Ruby's POV

I wring my hands as my breathe catches with every inhale. Butterflies flap into a fury in my stomach. I think I might be sick.
"Ruby honey relax, you'll be alright. It's just a wedding," the old woman says. She helped me get ready for my special day, by naturally her words do not help me calm down. I take a deep breath and let it hiss or between my lips.
"I can't. I'm not ready, what if he doesn't actually love me and it's just the mate thing whatever that makes him want me," I hurriedly say. My hands clutch my white cloak that covers me sleeveless dress. The old woman, Ivene I think her name was, clutches me close to her large chest. I feel her heart beat and it calms me better than anything.
"You'll be perfectly fine dearey, and I assure you, he loves you and would if you weren't his mate. I see the way he looks at you. Don't worry he loves you," she whispers. And something clicks. I relax and confidence fills me. I pull away from Ivene and look at her kind face. But my confidence leaves in a rush.
"Oh my, I'm just so nervous. Besides it's not just a wedding it's our mating ceremony. I have no idea what to do. I've never been in one. I'm a human. And I'll be a Alpha and I'm just not ready," I say. I begin to freak out once again.
"Honey, you're a Luna, not an Alpha. The mating ceremony is simple don't worry. You'll be walked through it. And you'll be a wonderful Luna. Now, breathe in and out. Perfect. I believe in you. Walk out those doors and into the arms of Ferox." The love and confidence in her voice pushes me to follow her instructions. I step out of the changing room and run straight into a muscular wall named Ferox. He looks at me and his eyes shine.
"Ruby, my love, I. You're beautiful." His words shine on me and I smile.
"Ferox, I-" he cuts me off with a kiss. And scoops me in his arms. He carries me into the forest and to the clearing where an old man similar to Ivene's age sits cross legged on a log. His eyes are shut and he silently hums to himself. As we approach, me giggling while Ferox scatters light kisses on my face, he looks up at us and smiles a toothless smile. My snails faded and his eyes glow. I gulp, Ferox sets me down and we begin to walk towards the man.
My skirt billows behind me as a windy chill sets over us. My cloak keeps me warm as Ferox clutches my freezing hand. My butterflies have faded, but a dragon awakes instead. It thrashes in my stomach with every step I take.
"Ferox Alpha of the North Pack, Ruby Venom Queen and advisor of Prince Isaiah, I welcome thee to a ceremony meant for those whose fates are intertwined by the night sky herself. Your paths were destined to be crossed, as the stars spell your future together out. I ask thee to come closer and pick up my silver knives." The old man's voice is a croak and sounds like a tree had spoken. We step closer and each pick a silver dagger. The handle is mahogany with swipes of golden vines and leaves wrapped around it. A silver blade, carved with swirls of stars and moons extends out. It glints in the sun. Ferox and I face each other. He smiles at me, noticing my nerves. The dragon wants our, would it be rude to empty my stomach before proceeding?
"Mates, place the blade on your left arm and expose the life force that all living creatures have. You shall bind yours together to always have a connection to each other." His voice becomes slightly louder with every word. I take the dagger and slice a small cut across my left wrist. Ferox does the same. His breath hisses out, the silver burns away the skin making it charred and black. A small trickle of blood runs down his arm. He holds it over my cut and it drops in. I do the same.
"Each drink the water born from when the moon falls every morning." A small creek runs behind the man and two chalices sit empty in front of us. We each clutch one and dip them into the water. The creek's water is silver and looks as the moon had been melted and poured into this water. It shines and is silky to the touch.
Ferox and I return to the stump and drink the silver water.
"This shows your connection to the stars and night. I beg of thee to complete the final task in your connection, your tying." The old man's voice booms over the clearing, making me flinch. I turn to look at the man, but he dissolves into smoke. I turn to Ferox.
"He's an Elder, he performs the ceremony except our tying." I nod, my tongue seems to have forgotten how to work. Ferox grabs a silver ribbon from the stump. It's frayed at both ends and looks as if it has been used for many generations. "Your hand," he whispers. I hold it out and he threads the ribbon through my finger and wraps it around my wrist. Then he weaves it through his hand and wrist, so our hands are tied together.
"Ruby, I love you to the moon and back. You will not except and injustice or let anyone think you a fool. My dear, you are a fire not meant for this world, so I thank the world for you to be in my life. I admired you before I knew we were meant to be together, and I don't doubt our love for a second." Ferox finishes his speech and I have tears in my eyes. I wipe them away with my spare hand.
"I didn't know of a speech we would be making. But Ferox, you are the love of my life and I feel honored to be your mate. Your strength gives me courage and your love is inspiring. I love you." My voice chokes throughout the sentences, but Ferox doesn't seem to notice. He kisses my forehead. He then pours the silver water onto the ribbon. Where the water hits, a hissing sound begins and steam flutters into the sky. My wrist begins to burn. It starts as a tingle and becomes hotter. I grit my teeth was I feel something dig into my skin. I look at Ferox, and he nods. This is part of the ceremony. That's when I notice the tightness of his other hand. I grab it and we hold onto each other while the silver water dances like fire on our skin. The fire recedes and the ribbon falls to the forest floor. Left behind is a mark of intricate swirls an patterns, a mark to show my connection my bond to Ferox.
I look up at him to see darkness clouding his eyes. Before I can say anything he scoops me up and carries me into the woods.
"What are with doing?" I giggle.
"Taking you to your wedding present."
"I-how? I didn't get anything for you."
"That's alright," he says and lightly kisses my forehead. I snuggle into his arms as we walk further into the trees.
"You could let me down," I say. "I can walk by myself."
"But you should never have to, you are a queen to me, and should be treated as such." I scowl, but continue to stay in his arms. They're rather warm and night starts to ascend, sending a cool breeze to chill us. After what seems like hours, Ferox sets me down.
"Where are we?"
"Your garden."
"What-?" Ferox spins me around and I see my garden. It's filled with magical herbs, overflowing with flowers and bushes. A cherry tree stands at the center of it all, a stone bench under it. And a woven basket sitting in the bench. "Thank you! Thank you so much." I His Ferox and give him a small kiss before skipping to where a vine has been creeping into the pot next to it. I slap it away and look over the garden. Moonberries glisten in the now moonlight, ripe. I gather them into my hands and out them into the basket. Ferox watches my movements with a content smile.
"I assume you like it then?" He says as he walks to me. He cradled me from behind so my back is pressed to his front. I turn in his arms and rest my head on his shoulder.
"More than anything. Thank you."
"More than me?" I look up at him to see mischief in his eyes.
"Maybe," I say, smiling.
"Well then, how about you finish collecting whatever else you need to collect and I'll be at home waiting for you." He smiles and I nod. He begins to walk away, but call after him and he turns.
"Wait, Ferox, when did you do all this?"
"That night when I ran from you," I nod. "I knew you were mine. I planted this because I was determined to make you mine." I blush at the possessiveness in his voice.
"Can you garden?"
"No, had others do that. I just made it."
"Well thank you." I skip to where he stands and paint a kiss on his lips. He tries to tug me against him, but I spin out of his arms and return to collecting moonberries.
"I'll see you at home," I giggle. He grumbles, but I hear the crunch of gravel as he turns to the forest. I smile and slap the vine that's trying to creep over again.