CHAPTER 14: Sooner Or Later

ARLAN

It was great sleeping beside her. I really did enjoy it as I remembered when we built that fort back when we were kids and had our sleepovers. We really were great friends.

Later on after school I had come home and saw my brother Freddy talking to who I think was his girlfriend. Even though I questioned it because he seemed to have been laying in on her and he never raises his voice to a girl, so she must have fucked up real bad.

So I just head upstairs to take a quick shower and get ready to go and see Korinna.

When I come back downstairs, I notice he has a bottle of Jack and is drinking some in a glass.

"Hey bro." I greet him.

"Where have you been?" He asks.

"I went to school." I tell him.

"Since last night?" He asked with a cocked eyebrow.

"No. I stayed over at Korinna's." I tell him while grabbing a water bottle from the fridge.

"You better treat her good man." He says before he drinks what's in his glass.

"I will." I tell him and in that moment as the words left my mouth, I meant it. Maybe this could be my chance to not only make things right for a friendship but maybe to make this a serious relationship.

"She's a good girl." He says.

"Yeah. How's your..." I tried changing the subject until he cut me off.

"We aren't together. She cheated on me and believed that it was my fault because I didn't give her enough attention." He says while pouring more Jack in his glass.

Okay, so now I don't know if maybe I could ever truly believe in this thing with Korinna ever becoming real. It's still hard to trust her and besides, from what my brother just went through, I don't think I want that trouble.

"Well, I'm gonna get going. Unless you want to hang out?" I ask.

"Nah. You guys have fun. I'll be fine." He assures me with a smile. "Besides, I won't be alone." He smiles as he holds up the bottle and then heads off into the living room.

I felt bad for leaving him while he was feeling this way but on the other hand, he doesn't seem to want to talk about it. So I just head out and decide to check on him later.

Both Korinna and I went out to dinner, saw a movie and were walking along the street holding hands walking past stores when I noticed Rick and the guys all were coming out of the pool hall place we all had played pool at and didn't realize until just now that it has been a while since we all hung out.

I felt Korinna start to squeeze my hand a little tighter and was starting to feel a bit guilty because I know he has bullied her so much but never thought it was to the extreme to where every time she would see him she would be freaking out and nearly having a panic attack.

So I noticed there was a bookstore that we could walk through and on the other hand were more stores and this way we could avoid seeing them.

So we went through there and as soon as we came out the other side of the store, she smiled at me.

"Thank you." She says. "You're welcome. Look, I know he had been a dick with you and I don't expect you to ever forgive him or anything but, we are gonna have to face them sooner or later. I mean, they're my friends. Especially Rick, he's my best friend." I tell her.

"Yeah. I know." She says.

"Hey." I turn her to lift her chin up to look at me. "Remember, you're safe with me." I smile reassuringly.

She smiles back at me and nods her head in agreement before we kiss and continue to walk over towards the ice cream shop.

Next chapter will be posted soon! :)