21

length: 0.9k words

"I'll cry if the second after-credits scene doesn't appear," Jungkook said, watching as the auditorium grew emptier and emptier.

Namjoon nodded. "I'll sue Marvel it it doesn't. We can't have you crying on a date with me."

Jungkook felt hot and prayed to every single god in the skies that he wasn't actually blushing. Every time Namjoon simply uttered the word 'date,' Jungkook would fucking grow hot and blush. It became a natural reflex. A Pavlov thing. An Anime Girl thing.

"Here you go again," he mumbled.

"Hm?"

"The whole, uh, date thing."

"You said it's a date," Namjoon said, shifting uncomfortably in his seat. "You... changed your mind?"

No. God, no.

Jungkook's hand tightened around Namjoon's reassuringly. "No! Just— I'm not used to it? I didn't think you'd actually play along."

"Play along," Namjoon echoed.

"Go along," Jungkook corrected. "Indulge me. I don't know."

"Go on a date with you," Namjoon said. "You didn't think I'd actually go on a date with you — hey, it's the cat!"

"Bet she's gonna throw up the guys she ate," Jungkook gasped, his attention back on the screen.

"No, the tesser— see?" Namjoon said, grinning. "I told you so."

Ah. Well.

"I thought it'd be funnier if she just vomited up a bunch of dudes," Jungkook retorted — just as he realised that it was over. There wasn't going to be another after-credits scene. It was actually over. "So, it's over."

"There won't be a third scene?"

They were alone.

"No. Um, did you like it?"

"Yeah," Namjoon said, turning towards Jungkook. They were still holding hands. "Did you?"

"Yeah. Carol's a lesbian."

"Definitely." Namjoon smiled softly, shadows of his dimples appearing on his cheeks. "You didn't think I'd go on a date with you."

"No. I mean, yeah. I didn't think you would," Jungkook said, his voice faint.

"Well," Namjoon hesitated. "I'm glad I did. This was fun. We should do it again... if you want?"

"We always do this," Jungkook pointed out, even though he knew that this was different. "We always hang out."

"We don't go on dates. We don't hold hands," Namjoon said. "We don't kiss."

"We didn't kiss," Jungkook mumbled.

"You know what I mean."

"Hm. Nope. We didn't kiss."

Namjoon bit his lip. "Can I kiss you?"

Fuck. Fucking hell. It took everything Jungkook had in him to let go of Namjoon's hand and turn entirely in his seat towards him.

"Depends. Is this a one-time thing?"

"Do you want it to be?"

"No. I mean, hyung, are you just doing this whole thing because it's what I want or is it real?" Jungkook asked again, his chest tightening yet growing lighter as all the words went out. "Are you indulging me or do you like me the way I like you?"

"I-I like you," Namjoon said, his cheeks reddening. "You like me?"

Understatement of the year.

"A lot," Jungkook said, letting out a huge breath. "Too fucking much. What about your crush? And Yerim?"

Namjoon grinned, covering up his face with his hands. God, what a sight. He was so precious.

Jungkook pulled Namjoon's hands away and held them. "Hyung?"

"You're my crush," Namjoon sighed, staring into Jungkook's eyes. "I was talking to you about you. I thought you knew I liked you though — Taehyung told me he hinted about it to you?"

"Tae what?" Jungkook paused. "You mean — he was serious? Like, he wasn't just saying that shit to cheer me up or whatever?"

"I don't really know what you're talking about..." Namjoon said. "But he never told me you liked me back. Just that you'd tell me if you did."

Jungkook snorted. "I'm so dumb. I tried to tell you but, um, the first time you were too drunk to remember it—"

"The whale songs?"

"Never happened," Jungkook reassured. "Second time, you thought I was tryna come out as a fucking furry."

Namjoon grinned. "Pet play, huh?"

"Hyung," Jungkook glared. "Third time, I tried to bring up dating so I can casually ask you out but you told me you had a crush and I backtracked instantly."

"So you tried asking me out while drunk and when that didn't work," Namjoon pointed out, "you decided to ask me out in front of Jimin and Yoongi."

"Um," Jungkook pouted. "Well. Yeah."

"Yoongi was sleeping. On top of you."

Jungkook shrugged. "Yeah. Anyway, the fourth time I planned to ask you out, I also backtracked because it felt, um, weird to ask you out when you came over to... ask me for advice relating to your crush. Who's not me."

"I get that," Namjoon said. "I can't believe we mocked Yoongi, Jimin, and Tae for not knowing how to communicate."

Well. "I can't believe this."

"What about the kiss?" Namjoon asked. "You said it was just for good luck."

"That's the dumbest fucking excuse and I can't believe you bought it," Jungkook said, disbelief evident in his tone.

"It's something you'd do!"

Well. Namjoon was right. "Maybe. Okay, the real reason I kissed you was because you looked so, ugh?"

"Ugh?" Namjoon raised an eyebrow.

"Yeah. Like, you just looked really neat. And cute," Jungkook explained. "I couldn't help it!"

Namjoon grinned, still blushing. Jungkook stared at him quietly then let out a little giggle because holy fuck.

"Hm?"

"You like me," Jungkook said, grinning back. "You actually like me?"

"Yes."

"And you want to, um, date me?"

"Yes."

"Okay. Then we should kiss."

Namjoon grinned. "Should we."

It wasn't a question.