Chapter 3 - Dai Li

Start from the beginning

"Oh so now you show up!" I huffed, watching her lips slowly quirk up before returning to being tight lip.

"I see that you have accepted La as a part of you."

"Yeah and??? What do you want?!" I asked her, turning back around to continue walking. She seemed to follow me, as her voice carried on with me.

"You are still new to being the Adversary, and so you need a teacher yourself to continue on with your spiritual journey."

"Oh fun."

"I heard that you are wanting to get into contact with your friends, correct?" I softly nodded, my eyes moving along the tree line, I was about halfway til being a half mile to the Dai Li, sooo... I would prefer if she would leave before I reached them.

"As the Adversary you are able to get into contact with different spirits, this opens a wave of communication everytime you speak to one, including me."

"Okay, please elaborate, I'm trying to focus on getting to the Dai Li." She ignored my sass and continued, "Each spirit has had some form of connection to the Mortal World-"

"Oh so we are calling it that now-"

"-As one point in time, we all lived here, whether we were a human or an animal, we all walking upon this earth at once point in time, we do not just come into existence as spirits."

"Please get to the point, Yangchen." I muttered, getting a tad annoyed, why did it get so long for her to get to the point?!

"Very well, if you open a channel to speak with a spirit, you can ask them to open up a web of communication with someone in the Mortal World that's hundreds of miles away from you, or you can simply ask the spirit to carry on a message for you to this human."

"Okay, nice. So then I don't have to worry about the message falling into the wrong hands?"

"Precisely."

"Okay so, if I were to give you something physical to give to this person, would it still work?" I questioned her, stopping my walk to look back at her, watching her eyes somehow glint as she answered my question.

"It may take longer than just the passing of word between mouths. As we spirits are not permitted to bring anything physical into the Spirit World." I frowned, sighing heavily to myself as I pushed my hair back behind my ear, blowing a small raspberry to the air.

"That's a bummer, but it's possible so I guess that's a good thing?" I paused for a moment, thinking to myself.

"Do you have a message you want to send to Avatar Aang?" She questioned me, watching me shake my head as I looked back at her.

"No, I will wait until I'm in Ba Sing Se to do so, I don't want to send a message to him and then something drastic happens before I even get there. Despite that I can't tell him where I am at." She nodded before looking beyond me, speaking deliberately.

"In 500ft you will be with these so called, 'Dai Li'. I shall take my leave now." And she was gone before I could even mutter a small 'thanks'.

I zeroed in on my hearing, stretching out the range, seeing if I could hear them, but still nothing, only the animals I could hear, no shifting of fabrics for clothing, breathing of lungs, the beatings of hearts, it was legit like they were the undead.

That was until I heard a soft 'bump' of a heart, one significant heart I could hear, just one, no others.

I continued walking until it was getting darker inside the forest, as more tree leaves seemed to gather above me, blocking out the sun from entering the area.