59: The Journey

Lloyd had said farewell to his teammates the previous night and set off early to begin his journey. They had eaten, drank and relaxed; together reminiscing on the past to send Lloyd into his future with memories of times both good and bad, but even the bad had somehow become good in the recounting. He shared with them how the Dark Island had shown him his past and they too, retold tales from their childhood; a time before they had even begun the journey that brought them together and marvelled at how the years that past were stretching without notice. They all felt exhausted from the enormity of recent events and finally retired to bed, embracing their friend and wishing him well on his trip before leaving.

The sun was rising and Lloyd had left before anyone was awake; even the Monks who began their chores at first light. Lloyd looked back as he walked the long winding path away from the monastery and thought about the new generation of Ninja that now frequented the old building. The monastery had gained a new lease of life with its new students providing more vibrancy than the polished veneer of the renovations ever could and Lloyd found he looked forward to his return before he had truly left. He would miss everyone, but it would not be long before he saw them all again. They all needed time to rest and reflect and he hoped Zane and Pixal might return by the time he did. He did not begrudge his inhuman friends for disappearing so spectacularly and to a certain extent he understood. He too had made an impulsive decision to leave and follow his questions though he was sure Zane and Pixal had their own very different reasons. He understood motivation and there really was never a better time than the present to do what was needed and for him, this trip would be his time to reflect and fill his mind with sights old and new. Perhaps retracing the first journey he ever made towards becoming the Green Ninja would help him find a new balance in his life and he checked his map for which road would take him to Jamankai Village. Where he would head after that, he hadn't thought too much about. He knew fate would lead him where he needed to go.

...

Lloyd approached the village; walled and gated, it had reason to fortify itself, but on this occasion he would walk into the streets in peace and the gates were wide open and welcoming. The wall stopped the historic town from spreading into modernity and it felt like stepping into the past. Being here again made him smile at his delinquent past and he shook his head at how he tried to wreck havoc on such tranquillity.

'YOU!' a deep voice shouted. Lloyd turned to see a man crossing the square towards him. As he came closer, the man slowed and standing in front of him took great care in studying Lloyds face until he finally nodded gently 'Yes. It is you... I always knew it was'

'Uh, yes it is indeed me!' Lloyd agreed, though slightly confused by the man's intensity he asked 'do we know each other?'

'Kind of...' the man laughed 'I hope you are not here to raid our markets and take all our candy again?'

'Oh well' Lloyd chuckled ' I do have a sweet tooth!'

'Don't make me hang you from that bracket over there young man!' he joked and jerked his thumb towards the site of Lloyds past shame, where once he had been unceremoniously hung as punishment for stealing, the simple bracket was now adorned with a hanging basket of beautiful blooms and Lloyd noticed something else new 'Is that... a commemorative plaque?' he asked in bewilderment and wandered over to look.

'Indeed it is' said the man. Whenever a child plays up, we bring them here to show them the spot where the Green Ninja was punished, to remind them that even though mistakes are made, you can become a better person' The man stood behind him and placed a hand on Lloyd's shoulder 'and I'm proud to say we have the bravest, most well behaved children in Ninjago... and we don't even need to hang any of them from brackets'