He had not seen Nat since she had resided at the Temple for a few months. After life returned to normal he did find the courage to ask her the questions he had promised. He hadn't looked at all cool, but nervous and flustered. She made him nervous and she had laughed. He wasn't concerned because he could see she was nervous too and he was being ridiculous, but she could literally hear everything he was thinking and some of those thoughts should really be private until you get to know someone better!

Finally stopping to camp, he let some of those thoughts roll around his mind and at the first climb point, fell asleep to the thought of when Nat's hands held onto him tight, his dragon forcing the unforeseen connection; and safe in the knowledge that Nat was out of mind-shot he imagined holding her right back.

On waking it was cool in the early morning shade of the peak, but the sun would move around and hit him in the afternoon. It would be hot. Readying himself for the climb he checked his supplies and packed them up again to then notice a little way off, a small direction arrow pointing straight up. He wandered over to it and read the name upon it 'Longwave' and laughed at the absurdity of the direction marker to Nat's home 'oh man, I really like her' he said aloud 'well, there you have it world, I like her' he admitted to the rocks, grass and trees. In his solitude he continued 'I may as well just get used to speaking my thoughts out loud, because she knows everything... everything. Oh man...What if she doesn't like me like that? I mean, she knows, she's heard... but she hasn't said anything' Cole chewed his lip and the boulders and loose rocks around him shook 'oops' he said and they quietened down but his nerves continued. He took a few deep breaths to calm himself; the climb would sort him out. He didn't think a whole lot when he was climbing so that would take his mind off his insecurities. He would just arrive and surprise her and then... he hadn't a clue.

He took a drink and some food from his rucksack, he would need some extra energy as the first part of the climb was long and hard going, a vertical face that would take the best part of the day to scale. After this immense shear wall, there then followed shorter faces, with more haphazard rock and was generally a bit of an unknown quantity and by the time evening descended and he hammered the securing pins for his hammock, he was spent.

The sun had beat down and drained every ounce of hydration from him. He stopped early, he had little water left and needed to rest. He was almost off the first face but it would be stupid to continue. The shorter climb in the morning shade would be relatively quick, maybe only a couple of hours. Hopefully he would get to her before she left for the Monastery. He lay back in his Hammock oblivious to the air between him and solid ground and slowly drank his remaining water... then fell asleep.

He woke in his hammock swinging gently off of the sheer face, but found the rock had bowed around him gently in the night and he felt safe and rested. He reached a hand to the smooth face and felt it to be a living breathing entity, a friend that looked out for him. He knew it was his subconscious controlling it, but still, he liked the thought that he was being watched over by his element, a gift from his Mother. He packed away the camping equipment and began his final ascent.

...

Nat sat on the wooden steps up to her house. The broken voice was clearer now, but it wasn't saying anything in particular. It was grunting quite a lot, then every now and again a few clear words, which were mostly a lot of cursing. This was the standard brain activity of the extreme climbers she had met.

Not many climbers attempted to scale the face and the ones who made it all the way were very surprised to find her living at the top, surprised and grateful because she took them in, fed them and then choppered them down if they couldn't bare the thought of the descent. Some were too stubborn to accept her help and camped in her garden then waved goodbye in the morning looking thoroughly disgruntled to have found her there. She wondered which type of climber this would be and willed them on to make it because she could hear they were really close. She enjoyed welcoming her unsuspecting visitors, but at the same time she should be leaving, she really wanted to be at the Monastery when Cole arrived. It had been too long since she last saw him.

She liked him... and she knew for a certainty that he liked her.

She had heard his thoughts turn to her a lot and his awkwardness around her had grown and she knew that it was because she could hear him. Cole's new and unfamiliar thoughts froze her to inactivity, because knowing was different to doing and she had zero experience in that department. So it was left and she finally left too.

She had thought about him a lot since leaving. Her quiet existence at the roof of the world allowed her mind to wonder and in the dead of night she would remember when she held her arms around his chest and felt his warmth as she pressed her cheek to his back. She was of course trying not to fall off a dragon at the time, but she had felt something then; an exhilaration that was more than just speed. She imagined what it would be like to have him hold her and would let that quiet thought settle her to sleep. On waking Nat would remember and realise that she had probably missed her chance at the Temple and he would more than likely have forgotten about her by now, so took comfort in knowing how lucky she was to have a friend like Cole and all of the Ninja. She would put aside her dream of having someone for the fortuitous change of circumstance that lead to her now happy life.

Nat shook the thoughts from her mind. She was getting frustrated listening to the climber grunt and curse. She wanted to go... 'Right' she decided 'I'm going' She stood and marched to the copter, but faltered, imagining the climbers shock at finding the deserted house when they arrived, so she ran back and hastily scribbled a note to pin to the door.

Hey!

Well done for making the climb. Come in, make yourself comfortable. Eat whatever you want, make coffee. I'll be back tonight. If you want a lift down the mountain, I can chopper you out.

Or, do what you want... whatever!

Nat

She pinned the note to the door and turned to scoot down the steps towards the copter to find that the climber was just arriving at the edge. She stopped and looked towards the visitor. Strong arms made traction with the flat summit pushing his muscular frame over the edge. The climbers black hair, slick with sweat, flicked back and as he righted himself to stand, time slowed as Nat realised who it was. She heard the pound of blood in his mind and the return of the simple urge that had been muted on his climb and drove him to be there now 'holy shit', she whispered and they looked at each other as if in shock.

Cole's eyes searched hers for confirmation of his need and Nat took a step towards him. That was all Cole required to begin a determined march towards her. Nat waited flustered, unsure what to do, but he was upon her before she could even talk, because on opening her mouth to speak he pressed his to hers, silencing all thoughts as they lost themselves in each other and the taste of salt from his exertion was the sweetest thing as she finally knew what it was to be held. She wrapped herself around him as he picked her up and walked her into the house, slamming the door behind them.

...

On the summit of The Mountain of Impossible Height a Watcher turned away from his telescope and descended the stairs from his tower. He walked quickly across the courtyard and entered a door on the other side. He navigated the narrow corridors and found Master Wu's study. Going to knock on the door, he realised his haste was unnecessary and would be unappreciated by the great Master. He calmed himself and gently knocked.

'Enter' came Wu's calm permission.

On opening the door, the watcher was taken a back to see Wu hanging upside down from a bar wedged between a doorframe.

'I am stretching my back child, if you ever reach my grand age I would recommend you do the same'

'Oh, uh... yes Master. I will remember your wise words' and he bowed his head in respect.

Wu rolled his eyes 'you have something for me?'

'Uh... yes. I have news Master'

'Well?'

'Master Cole has been... er, detained and Master Nat will probably not be in today...' The Watchers face, told there was more to the information than he spoke.

'Thank you...' Wu said.  And so it has happened, he thought, waved the Watcher away and allowed himself a satisfied smile.