"Allison, are you sure you didn't just drop them in the car?" I ask, pushing myself off the ground. "Or did you forget that you had them in your pocket?"

"That's ridiculous. I swear I left them in the ignition before I put gas in." She says, pushing herself up from the ground as well.

I was about to respond but next thing I knew, a bag is placed over my head, harshly dragging me away.

"Allison!" I attempt to shout but it only muffles through. He places something over my mouth and instantly felt dizzy as I tried to catch my breath.

My eyes were beginning to feel heavy and for some reason, I felt extremely sleepy.

➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵

"Ever wonder what happens if a hunter gets bitten, Allison?"

I flash open my eyes, frantically looking around my surroundings. I see Allison, her face wet with tears as she locked her eyes with mine as well as a man, most likely her father, tied down to a chair as he attempted to free himself.

Both of their screams were muffled with shirts tied around their mouths.

"Ever wonder what happens if the people you care about get bitten?"

I recognize the voice to be Derek's which caused me to furrow my eyebrows. I thought Derek was supposed to be on our side? Even if Allison did say it was neutral, would he really stoop to this level?

"Ever wonder what happens when you get bitten?"

I attempt to lurch forward but instantly feel the rope that was wrapped around my wrists behind my back. I try to pull with all of my strength but it was pretty much useless.

"What do you think your father would do?" Allison's father shakes in his chair, trying to lean forward with all his might. "What do you think he'd have to do?"

His wooden chair begins to snap and instantly breaks off the back of where his hands were tied. He slides his hands off from his bounds, causing me to smile in relief since he could free the both of us.

He slides down the shirt that blocked his mouth but stayed in the chair, causing my expression to drop.

The man from the gas station stepped out of the shadows, holding a phone in his hand and gave the phone to Allison's father.

"When all it would take to change everything is one bite. One bite--"

He presses the pause button, instantly cutting the audio off that echoed throughout the house. I turn to Allison and see she was practically fuming.

Her father finally stands up from his chair, handing the phone back to the guy. "and everything changes."

He walks over to Allison and pulls off the cloth from her mouth. The guy does the same for me and gives a small smile.

"Is this how we're going to do father-daughter talks from now on?" Allison asks, her voice slightly shaky.

He shakes his head. "No, this is how we're going to train you."

I glare. "Then why the hell was I tied up? The least you could've done was drive me home!"

"Because she needs to face potential situations where her normal friends could be in danger." He pointed to his daughter, glaring at me as well.

Not gonna lie, her father scared me a bit so I didn't want to bother arguing with him. For god's sake, he could probably kill me and nobody would even notice.

"Do you know why we use arrows?" He asks, turning away from her to grab the arrow on the table.

"Because you're a family full of psychopaths?" I mumble under my breath.

"They can't heal until it's taken out." She responds, seeing her father held up the arrow.

"Look familiar?" He asks and Allison glares.

"You were going to kill him--"

"That's right. If we find Isaac on another full moon, we will kill him. That's the hard choice we make, but it wasn't my choice." He says, his voice rising with each sentence.

"Gerard?" Allison asks but her dad shakes his head. He walks behind her, leaning to her ear against her chair.

Is she talking about Principal...oh my god.

"Our family has a surprisingly progressive tradition. Knowing wars and violence are typically started by men, we place the final decisions, the hard ones, with the women." He whispers and stood up straight once more but places a hand on her shoulder. "Our sons are trained to be soldiers, our daughters are the leaders. A leader should be able to think on the spot and conquer their fears instead of crying about what they should do."

"That's not what--"

He cuts me off by walking over to me and placing the shirt back over my mouth. My eyes widen at his action but Allison sadly looks down.

He hands her the arrow before placing a kiss on her head. "Your training starts now." He says as he walks out of the room. "Time her."

The guy presses start on his timer, walking away as well with a smile.

I push my tongue against the cloth and since it wasn't as tight as before, I successfully moved it away from my mouth.

"Allison if I somehow move my chair behind you, maybe I can--"

She clears her throat. "No." I see she grips the arrow tighter and starts to move it back and forth against the rope. "He's right. I have to do this by myself and stop being afraid."

"Are you serious?" I say as she nods weakly. "Fine."

I try to pull my hands out, similar to what her father did but it was like the more I tugged, the more tighter it would be.

"You're gonna hurt yourself, Olivia." She says but I continued to tug on the rope.

"I don't care. My mom is probably pissed that I haven't come home yet so if I mess up my wrists, so be it." I say and tug on my wrists harder.

She lightly chuckles at my determination and continued to cut with the arrow.