One

Olivia's POV:

"Olivia, help me lift this last box upstairs!" I hear my mom call out as I was unpacking the last of my things from the boxes.

I use my arm to wipe the sweat from my forehead and push myself up from the ground. I maneuver through the stacks of boxes in the middle of the hallway and see my mom halfway through the door with a box that was twice her size.

"I told you shoving a bunch of stuff in one box was gonna be something you regret." I chuckle as she had a look of annoyance when the box didn't budge as she attempted to push again.

"Well I have you, don't I?" She smirks, moving the strands of hair that blocked her face.

I walk to the other side of the box and once we lifted it a couple of inches off the ground, I got a better hold of it so we could lift it higher. I cautiously took a couple of steps back until my heels were met with the first step of the stairs.

"Okay, watch your step." My mom warned with each step we took.

"I know, I know," I mumble until we reached the top. "You just had to pick a house that was two stories. It's only the two of us, you know."

Once my mom reached the top of the stairs, we placed the box on the ground. "It was the only house closest to your school and my job. If you had a license, things would be different." She grunted.

"Hey, don't act like you don't enjoy my music taste whenever we go somewhere together." I tease and walk over to her side so we could push the box to her room.

"Why do you think I made you have your room downstairs?" She laughed but I punched her shoulder. She gasped then smacked me in the head. "Hey, no violence." She scolded.

"But you hit me after!"

"I'm the mom, I get to do whatever I want." She says, causing me to roll my eyes with a chuckle. "In all seriousness, things are going to change, Olivia. You can't rely on me all the time, you know. You have to grow up eventually."

I didn't say a word but continued pushing the box with all my might until we were in her room, along with the rest of her boxes that were nearby. "Damn, you have a bigger room than I do, I'm gonna go finish--"

She grabbed my arm before I could leave. "Olivia, I'm serious. It's time you try and put yourself out there. Make some friends, get a job, save up money so you can buy a car, things you need to get started." She gave a small smile. "Don't look for love yet, you're still young."

"I had friends, why are you making it seem like I didn't." I protested.

"The janitor and your last school's librarian don't count." She said and I pull my arm away so she could let go. "Friends your age. Like that one girl you always brought over."

"First off, Ned and Dorothy were pretty cool people to listen to if I wanted to know some stories about my teachers and class. And second, she moved. Remember?" I say and she pinched the bridge of her nose. I cross my arms with a sigh of defeat. "Fine, I'll sign up for the school's newspaper or something."

She nodded then pulled me into a hug. I wrap my arms around her as well. "That's my girl. Now, go finish unpacking so you can help me with dinner."

➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵

I grab my backpack off the rack beside me and quickly run down the stairs. The scent of pancakes filled the room, causing me to smile since mom knew it was my favorite.

"Is it the famous Flores buffet?" I announce, slinging my backpack on the chair and grabbing a paper plate from the side since I wasn't trying to wash my dish.