Chapter 34: War

Liz and I were both in high spirits despite the conflicts that happened earlier on in the morning. Even though we had slightly different explanations for the cause of our good moods, at least she didn't have to know that.

"I still can't believe this!" Liz cheered shrilly as we sat down for lunch, "Way to go, Vira! I knew you had it in you!".

Due to her loud voice, several heads turned curiously in our direction. It was the middle of winter, we'd have to be idiots to go out and eat lunch in the freezing weather outside so we sought refuge in the school cafeteria.

"Sh!" I hissed at her as I took a hesitant bite out of my sandwich.

She sat down, though her mood not dampened in the least, "Why?! Can't you understand how happy I am?" she squealed.

"Jeez, it wasn't you who kissed your boyfriend!" I said, completely exasperated, "And it was on the cheek for god's sake!" I added.

Liz nearly swooned, "Aw! You just called him your boyfriend!" she cooed in my face.

I let my head hit the table with a loud smack. I was lucky I didn't get a concussion. I felt someone slide into the empty space across the table from me.

"Uh, I know Liz was in the middle of congratulating you and all but someone sure looks angry. Lift your head and see" it was Gaara, his voice flat and slightly hushed.

I obediently lifted my head up and cleared my face of my wild hair, "What are you talking about? I don't see...oh" I stopped myself as I saw who was glaring at me from all the way across the cafeteria.

It was none other than Hana with her back-up Barbies, Hime and Hitsumi, not a step behind her as they stormed through the cafeteria in our direction.

"God, I hate these confrontations" Gaara grumbled as he got up to leave.

Liz yanked him back by the arm immediately, "Don't be such a bystander. What's so scary about these plastic dolls?" she chastised gently.

Gaara raised his eyebrows but allowed himself to be pulled back down into a seat beside Liz, "You have no idea".

Before we had a chance to ask him to expand on that last comment, Hana and her obnoxiously noisy heels made their way to our table, stopping with an abrupt clack in front of us.

"Is that burnt plastic I smell?" I wondered aloud.

Liz shook her head lightly, a small smile on her face. Only I can come up with such unique disses but she was one of the few people on the Earth who could understand them right away.

"Ha, ha" I laughed insincerely, "Get it? You got burned and you're plastic? Ha, ha..." I smirked at her as I took another bite out of my sandwich.

She narrowed her eyes at me, "Was that the best you could do?".

I shrugged, "Who knows?" I said after swallowing.

She put her hands down on the table and leaned in, getting a little too close, "It's a pity that you're not willing to go any further than just a kiss to the cheek, Vira" she whispered loud enough for me to hear.

I turned my body to look at her, "First of all, straighten up, your bra isn't supposed to be on display to the whole world because frankly, I'm not interested in the least. Second, how in the world would you know what I can and can't do? Don't you only know what you can and can't bang? Actually, I doubt that you even know that much since you're so persistent. I'll warn you clearly, just this once. Don't touch Sasuke. He's allergic to Barbie dolls like you" I said vehemently.

She straightened up again but there was a smile on her face, "Good to see that you actually care and that you're not actually playing around with me. I only like real competition" she said with a superior tone.

"What a coincidence. Same here" I finished the last bite of my lunch.

"Well...I guess I'll catch you around" she said as she began to leave.

I grinned, "Not before I catch you first".

She offered me a wide smile, without a doubt fake and began to make her way out of the cafeteria with her butt also trying frantically wave goodbye.

"Remember!" I called after her, "Keep your hands and feet to yourself!".

Liz gave me a proud smile, "My baby is finally all grown up" she sniffled.

I rolled my eyes but laughed as I did. We both knew that I wasn't the type to go down without a fight.

I had been keeping a close eye on the little Barbie, making sure that any moves she made on Sasuke, I knew about. At least, she wasn't a boring subject to spy on. She seemed to be using flirting techniques from the World's Largest Encyclopedia of Flirting Techniques. It made me laugh to see her try so hard with her restless booty as she tried over and over to gain just Sasuke's attention.

I'll win this game for sure, I thought smugly.

By the time the bell had rung for the last time that day, signaling the end of school and the inevitable rush of students as they poured out of every entrance to the school, Liz and I found Hana fuming to Hime and Hitsumi in an empty hallway after we had gotten our stuff from our lockers.

"Ugh! I've tried everything! But Sasuke just won't react to anything!" she shrieked, "All he has eyes for is that disgusting...boy-girl! Obviously, he needs glasses!" she hissed, throwing her hands up in the air.

I cleared my throat, "For one, that boy-girl you're talking about...there's a term called tomboy. Look it up, Dumbo. Second of all, Sasuke's vision is perfectly fine. It's you close-minded prissies that are the problem here" I said with a pleasant voice.

"Of course, who else could it be?" Hana sneered.

"The hall monitor?" I suggested with all the intentions of annoying her.

She ignored this though, "So what did you put in his water, you little witch?" she asked icily, her eyes narrowed to slits.

"Oh, so the desperate one is me now? I'm sorry, I must've been mixed up this whole time! You see, I didn't spend my whole day trying to get even just a whisper of his attention, so as you can see, I don't see how I would need to put anything in his consumables" I retorted, eyes flashing.

She scowled at me, it certainly didn't think she looked any prettier, "You just watch it" she threatened, "Or you'll regret the moment you were born" she spat.

I shrugged, "Hey, I'm not a bad sport so, challenge accepted".

With that Liz and I left with broad grins plastered to our faces. It was the small scuffles like this that accumulated and eventually led you to victory. I didn't know a thing about waging a real war, but this war seemed to be in my favour.