Chapter 39: The Butterfly

Liz and I walked into the ward, it was dead silent inside. She barely even lifted her head to see who it was.

"Hey" I called out, not unkindly but not sweetly either.

Hana kept her head turned down, staring at some distant world that seemed to exist on her blankets. She had been put under the covers. From the doctor who had come out just as we were trying to get in, I heard that she had been shivering for the past while. Poor girl, she must've been really traumatized.

I sighed, "Look...I'm sorry this happened, it's my fault..." I trailed off, not knowing what else to say.

"It's not your fault" Liz muttered under her breath, her arms crossed over her chest and glaring at Hana.

I gave Liz a look saying, Not now.

She huffed and turned away, "I'm going to check on Gaara and Sasuke...again".

I watched her leave, feeling a little abandoned. I didn't want to deal with a half-crazed Hana alone. I stood there in awkward silence as her eyes continued to focus on the one spot on those pure white sheets. I could hardly take it anymore. Looks like I'd have to wait a while before I got even a whisper from her.

"Okay then...I'll be going" I said, also turning for the door.

"Wait".

I froze, my back to her.

"Why?".

I blinked and turned my body back around, "Sorry?".

This time, when I looked at Hana, her green eyes were trained on my turquoise ones.

"Why?" she repeated.

I furrowed my brow at her unblinking gaze, "Why what?" I urged.

Her hands slowly clenched around the blankets. She had gripped them so tightly that her knuckles had turned white.

"Why did you come back?" she demanded, "You could've just kept going. Why did you come back?" she reiterated.

I looked at her, my face expressionless, "Would you have wanted me to keep going?" I replied instead.

She glared, "Just answer me. Why did you come back?".

I smirked at her, "Not if you ask like that".

She clenched her jaws, restraining the many curses that she must've wanted to spit at me, "Please", she said stonily.

I chuckled, "Hm...why did I go back?" I shrugged, "Simple. I didn't want to see those men take advantage of you".

She blinked.

"Well, not you specifically 'cause, quite frankly, I hate your guts...but girls in general. No one deserves that. No matter who you are...or even how...hm, what's the word...frivolous you can be" I emphasized on the adjective that I had paused to come up with.

She was about to shout back at me, probably insulted, but I overrode her.

"Don't even try" I said darkly, my voice dropping lower, "This is exactly why you're the one who doesn't deserve to be by his side" I glanced over at the neighbouring ward.

She narrowed her eyes, "What does this have to do-".

"A butterfly!" I hissed, "That's all you are. And that's all you'll ever be to him. And me. And anyone else who knows you. You know why?" I snarled, "You flutter on your dainty little wings from flower to flower. You stop every now and then to touch one or two that please you. But you never stay. You use them then you just move on to the next one" by now, I had already advanced until I was standing just inches from her, "It's you who's the one Sasuke is much too good for" I said to her face.