19. Freedom

A sound of a motorcycle woke Fay up early in the morning. The sun was barely up, but she wanted to see what was happening. She crawled out of the bed and walked to the window. She took a peek behind the curtains and saw how a woman got off the bike's back seat. She took her helmet off.

"Evelyn," Fay whispered.

Evelyn handed the helmet to the driver, Shawn. She fluffed her hair and gave a playful nudge to Shawn who was grinning at her.

Fay could hardly recognize Evelyn. She was not that scared little mouse, that Fay had come to know in New York. This woman was radiant and healthy. Fay noticed she was wearing a black leather jacket, just like Shawn. Shawn stepped off the bike too and pulled Evelyn close to him. He spoke something into her ear. For a while, they just looked into each other's eyes. Then he slipped his fingers through hers and pulled her to the front door.

Fay stepped away from the window. Seeing Evelyn like that had startled her. She shook her head when the idea of mate bond doing that to Evelyn entered her mind. She didn't want to believe Shawn was good for her. Shawn had never shown any signs of being good for someone, except maybe for himself. Out of the two Cage brothers, he was the broody one. The one with sharp edges. But now his smile told a different story; he was wrapped around Evelyn's little finger.

Fay decided not to go downstairs just yet. It felt too weird seeing them like that. She decided to go back to bed. But Fay didn't have time to fall asleep, because there was a silent nock on the door and it opened.

"Fay?" Evelyn said and tiptoed in. "I saw you were awake and I wanted to see you."

"Hey," Fay smiled and motioned her to come sit on the bed.

"Shawn told me what happened. How are you?" Evelyn asked.

"I'm ok," Fay answered. She saw the skeptical look in Evelyn's eyes.

"It could be worse," Fay tried. She knew her skin looked grey and her eyes were red and tired. Damn, she could hardly recognize herself when she had seen herself in the mirror.

"Enough of me. How are you?"

"I'm good," Evelyn smiled. Fay believed her. That kind of happiness could not be faked.

"And Shawn? He's good to you?"

"Ah, he's... great. Out of this world great, you know." Evelyn's voice trailed off. She had a glimpse of guilt in her eyes. Talking about the mate bond felt unfair now that Fay had lost her wolf.

"You don't have to hide your happiness from me. It makes my failure feel a little less bitter," Fay said and put her hand on Evelyn's hand.

"Your failure?" Evelyn asked frowning.

"I didn't keep you safe. You lost your freedom."

"Fay..." Evelyn sighed. "This is freedom. For the first in my life, I feel real. Like I know who I am. He has helped me figure out things."

"I'm sorry, it's just really hard to see him as you see him," Fay said.

"What do you mean?"

"Like... I don't know... wonderful."

"Trust me he isn't all wonderful. When we left New York and he took me to their family's island, it was so twisted. Just physical... We were so confused and he was soooo-

"Possessive and manipulative," Fay said.

"Yeah. But after a while, there was something else too. Not just the hormones. I think something in him clicked. He found his center and all that crap. He's still possessive, but he wants to control it. Sometimes he fails miserably. You should've seen what happened on our way here. Oh gosh, he nearly kicked the shit out of one guy at the gas station. He felt bad about it because he doesn't want to be like that. He said he wants to be a mate - a real mate. So it's not just physical anymore. I don't think anyone knows me the way he does. I can't imagine what it's like in years to come when he has broken down all my walls after just a few days."

Fay had tears in her eyes. Evelyn's happiness made her heartache in yearning. But she was happy for her.

"Wow. That sounds wonderful," she was able to whisper through her tears.

"So, maybe I should thank you for failing me," Evelyn smiled.

********************************************

Hey there!

This is a shorter chapter, but I wanted to publish it like this anyways. I just love the friendship of these two women. I hope it will grow even deeper. What do you think about Shawn's transformation? And how do you think Elise Cage will treat Evelyn?

Thank you for all of your votes and comments! They have given me a tremendous amount of joy and inspired me to write more and faster. Especially, I want to thank StarlightRyder  for giving so much love for my story! Thank you, sweet lady (of the hummingbirds)! You are appreciated

Yours

M