8. Duly noted

Shawn finally parked the car. They were at a harbor. A neat row of white yachts was docked there.

"We're here," Shawn said.

"Okay..." Evelyn wondered why he had brought her here. But more importantly, she hated the ocean. "What is here?" she asked, trying to hide the uneasy feeling. But of course, Shawn could sense it.

"Honey, you're safe with me."

Right, Evelyn chuckled in her mind. She doubted this glorious beast next to her, could do something to the waves. He wasn't Jesus.

Shawn stepped out and walked around the car. He opened her door and gave her his hand. Evelyn hesitated before she put hers in his. Their fingers intertwined and it felt divine. He lightly pulled her out of the car.

"Shawn, I'm not getting on any of those yachts," she said.

Shawn chuckled. He still had that arrogant dominant energy.

"Are you going to swim then?" he asked. "No. I hate water. I-" It was so embarrassing to admit it to him. "I can't swim."

Shawn stopped. Arrogance and dominance disappeared. With a gentle stroke, he pushed some of her rebellious hair behind her ear. His eyes dived into hers. It didn't feel uncomfortable, but Evelyn didn't know how she should react. It was such an intimate experience.

"Why can't you swim?" he asked. What a stupid question.

"Because no one ever taught me," Evelyn rolled her eyes.

"Why?"

"Why no one ever taught me to swim?"

"Yeah."

"Maybe, because one who tried nearly got his arm ripped off," Evelyn said.

"That's the wolf in you," Shawn chuckled. "It hates water."

"Huh?"

"You- I, we hate water. And that's the exact reason why we're getting on that fancy looking yacht over there." Shawn pointed at one of the yachts, that had big black letters on its side: Elise. Before Evelyn could protest, Shawn put his arm around her lower back pulled her with him towards the pier. She nearly dripped, but Shawn made sure she didn't fall.

He helped her to get on the boat, by effortlessly lifting her up and over the gap between the pier and boat. She could feel the boat swaying under her feet.

"I hate you," she growled in panic.

"Duly noted."

"Fuck you, you smug bastard."

"Hon, remember what I told you about male wolves and disrespect?"

Memories of their first encounter outside Northfalls rushed into her mind.

"Nope," she lied.

"Then I will refresh your memory."

**************************************************

Fay felt like a helpless puppy following her mate. The strange thing was, she didn't mind. His presence was intoxicating, and all she wanted was to soak it in as much as possible. They were back in her office. It was best to clean the mess they'd made, or Em would have a heart attack in the morning and call the police.

"How can you be so normal?" Fay asked as she watched Seth pick up pieces of glass. Seth laughed.

"Darling, this is not normal," he said never looking up. Fay wouldn't have believed him if she hadn't felt the emotion radiating from him. She could sense his inner struggle.

"Well, at least you can control it. I- I just can't function," Fay sighed.

Seth chuckled.

"Maybe you just want me to do all the work," he said.

Fay laughed too. She kneeled down next to Seth and started picking up pieces. Their arms touched and that strange electric spark went through them.

"Is it always going to be like this?" Fay wondered out loud.

"According to my mother, yes, but we'll get used to it," Seth said.

His mother. Fay frowned. That woman disliked her. Fay's independent mind had always fought against her ideals. Even before Fay and Seth found out they were mates, Fay realized the mate of the dead alpha didn't appreciate her headstrong nature.

This time Seth sensed Fay's uneasy feeling.

"Don't worry about my mother. She'll come around."

"Huh. You really think the ice queen will come around after his son's mate disappeared to do something that is totally against traditions?" Fay asked.

"She will," Seth said. "When she sees what you mean to me, she will."

Seth and Fay cleaned the floor and covered the hole in the window with cardboard. As Fay was calling a maintenance guy, her pack, her brave and independence-seeking group of soul sisters came to her mind. How could she ever leave them? And how could she ever leave Seth now?