Chapter 11

The men from Antell Country boarded the troop ship, and Commander Brun began by briefing them about the other fighting forces they would be joining up with. It sounded like there would be two other armies, one from Paleta and the other from another of the countries close to Jalop, who could be identified by the paler blue sashes they would be wearing. Their unit would be included in the Paletian contingent and would be issued with as much armour as could be spared which was a little less than the full quota, but the Paletians would try to deploy them further back, apart from Jasper who was going to take care of the Ramoonian guards on the city wall. He would only be wearing a few protective panels so that he would be able to use Combat Unlock.

Most of the men tried to get some sleep on the journey because they were going to a different time zone; when they arrived it would be early evening. The troop ships had padded areas on the floor like built-in sleeping bags. Jasper managed to sleep for a few hours, and during the half hour stretch when they went through space he was aware of Trevik exclaiming, "Not again!" and clinging onto his knees. The other dream, in which Emin had spoken to him, he didn't remember.

As they flew over Jalop they saw that it was a country of lush vegetation, with huge dark green plants like giant dock weeds and trees of many shapes and sizes all with thick, wide trunks. The towns were massed areas of dust and stone buildings clustered around market squares, and they stood together in groups.

Jasper was pleased to help with setting up the camp and actually to know what he was doing this time, for the instructors explained everything clearly. He did think the Antell Country men looked a bit like a rabble of peasants compared with the other two professional armies, even after they had dressed in the protective armour and dark blue sashes. The gear that Jasper put on himself was more like cricket pads than armour and it felt lumpy and strange, but it was exactly what he needed in order to move freely.

The camp was well hidden but near enough to the former capital city to give them a clear view of it on a slope behind the trees, ravaged and largely destroyed and with many scaffoldings that had gone up on the shattered buildings to transform them. The troops were ordered to attack at nightfall and burn the city to the ground with their fire sticks.

As the sun was setting the division leaders began to hand out a herb and ordered the men to take it. "To help with that blind rage," they said. Jasper recalled from his history lessons that something similar to this had been tried during twentieth century warfare on Earth, and it had not gone well. He looked at the herb dubiously and said, "I need a clear head if I'm to use Combat Unlock."

"Come on, it's orders," said Commander Brun.

"Whose orders?" Jasper asked.

"That's not something you need to know, but as I believe in giving my men a civil reply I'll point him out. That's our advisor over there, on the slope. Now, take it."

Jasper ate a small piece, and quickly crumbled most of it and dropped it. Then he looked over to where the commander was pointing. He recognised that armour and sword; the features were unfamiliar, but of course when they were his, he hadn't been able to see his own face.

He was still afraid of exploding or imploding if he stood next to Emin, but he couldn't miss the opportunity. He realised what a warm affection he felt, almost as if Emin really was his master.

When no-one was looking he slipped over and said with a grin, "Hey! Your drug better not ruin my moves."

Emin's eyes twinkled. "Jasper!" he whispered. "I can only speak to you for five minutes; I have to go back to the city. The Zarens think I'm on their side."