I had flashbacks to Berlin. Fighting against Captain America, who was now sitting 3 feet away from me. Fighting against... well, all of these people, really. I fought them for Tony.

"Um, yeah." I muttered.

"Do you think you're ready?" Steve asked.

"As ready as I'll ever be, I guess," I shrugged.

"You've got great potential," Natasha said and glanced at Steve. "If you can defeat that guy, you can defeat almost anyone."

"He did not 'defeat' me." Steve scoffed and put air quotes around the word "defeat." Natasha and Sam raised their eyebrows and smirked at each other.

Bucky still wasn't paying attention.

"Just be careful out there," Natasha put her hand on my shoulder, "it can be dangerous. Even to people like us."

"I will," I assured her. She stood and walked off towards Bruce.

"I still can't believe Stark hired a 16 year old..." Sam shook his head. "You shouldn't be out there. You're too young."

"Well..." I thought about the speeches I made up while in the shower, "when you can do the things I can do, and you don't, that's when people get hurt." He nodded. "And... I don't think I could live with myself if people were threatened and I didn't do something about it."

"That's just part of being an Avenger, man," he fist bumped me and I tried to contain my growing smile. "See ya on the battlefield," he winked and walked away.

I stood up and was about to walk away when I heard Steve's voice.

But he wasn't talking to me.

"Buck," his voice was soft and warm, like caramel. "It's gonna be okay. I promise." His hand was resting on Bucky's shoulder. Bucky stared straight ahead, his hands formed into fists by his sides.

Half of me wanted to lurk in the shadows and listen to the conversation, eager to know what was going on. But the other half of me knew I shouldn't snoop in business that wasn't mine. I walked off and went back to my window.

*THIRD PERSON POV*

Peter sat on the window seat, gazing at the clouds they were passing through, lonesome drops of rain accumulating on the window as they soared across the sky. He almost didn't notice when someone walked right up next to him.

"Hey kid." Tony patted his back. Peter looked at him and smiled. "Hi."

"Got any questions about the mission?"

Peter thought about it. "No, don't think so."

"Okay. Well," Tony leaned against the wall next to Peter with his arms crossed and his voice serious, "I know you're very independent," he scoffed, "but this is a very important mission and I can't have you screwing it up, okay?"

Peter nodded, his head lowered. He fiddled with the hem of his Midtown sweatshirt in silence as he took in Tony's harsh words.

"You've been doing really well on your night patrols and on your smaller missions so far, I'll give you that," Tony continued, "but this is far more serious. I'm going to need you to listen to me, got it?" Tony waited for him to respond.