44

The next morning when I woke up..

Natsu wasn't there, but the section of the futon he'd laid on was still warm from his touch. 'Hm, he must've let me sleep in.' A smile graced my lips and a warmth spread through my heart. Thinking back on last night, we'd held each other so tight our bodies were like one. I placed my hand to my heart, remembering how the thumping sound of our hearts was so pleasant in my ears.

Still slightly in my daydream I got dressed. As I walked outside and the warm sun mixed with the crisp air of early autumn I shivered. Bringing back to my senses, were I'm met with the sight of the troops rushing around preparing to depart.

Luckily Wendy's a healer or the recovery rate of the vessels would have been slim to zero. Myself included.

Once more my mind ran to him.. 'Where could he be?' As I served the area, I noticed a crowed near the village entrance.

There Natsu stood, along with Erza and Gray. Soldiers were fanned out, spears in hand, and magic  ready with wary eyes. I hurried over to have a look..

August and Larcade were tied and made to kneel. Their men also bound and made to kneel, surrendered them.

I arrived at the moment Erza must've asked them about the assumptions of Jellal. In which the answer was a truthful confused reaction. I couldn't help by sigh with relief. 'Jellal s name had been cleared of the rumors. Erza must be happy.'

~•~

Some time later, we'd headed out. I was hoping to talk with Natsu on this trip too, however I was mistaken.

Silence.. voided of all words, the only sound was of the foot soldiers and hooves of horses.

'Ugh, might as well be riding with a handsome statue!'

All my attempts at striking a conversation with him failed. It was obvious he had no intention in talking to me. So in silence we continued on...

.....

When night came, the army stopped and set up camp in a field. As late as it was everyone was now a sleep, expect for me. And the watchman. Restless, I quietly exited my tent. Hoping a nice walk would settle my uneasy mind.

I strolled through camp, attacked to the light of the bonfire. Where Natsu was sitting, tending to the fire.

"What are you doing here?"

Slowly his eyes drifted from the red embers as he noticed me.

"Lucy?"

Happy to find him still awake, I walked over to see him. But concern danced in the back of my mind.

"Why are you up?"

"Thought a bit of a walk would help me sleep. How about you?"

He glanced back at the fire then back to me. "Is it not obvious?"

'Hm..' "Well, what happened to the night watch?"

Natsu explains how the man that was chosen for tonight's watch was one of the men who'd been poisoned. He had hidden that his condition had worsened. So Natsu took over his watch.

"Well that was nice."

"Hmph, it was needed. It's more of a loss if a valued pawn is exhausted."

The firelight warmed his still face. But I was still worried about him.

"Then I'll take the next watch." Saying this with a smile, I sat down beside him and continued. "You look tired and the troops will need their commander."

"No, I'm fine. Return to your tent."

I looked past his cold expression.

'Why isn't he getting it?' "You know, being here benefits me."

Using the benefit card, I caught his attention. Natsu was a man of what's a benefit is important..

"And how so?"

"Well—." 'to be able to be next to you.. but would you understand that?' But instead I decided to steer the conversation back his way.

"It's a secret."

"Hm?"

"And I'm staying." I gave Natsu a smile, urging the conversation back his way.

However, he didn't speak. Natsu's expression tightened as he grabbed my wrist. Gently he lowered me back onto the grass before falling there with me.

That tournamented expression was so near as he huffed, "Just what are you?"

'I'm the woman who loves you..' I answered in my head, unsure if he was ready to hear something like this yet..

"Why do you look at me like that? And what is this secret?"

A bit of Natsu's POV!!

Under a moon drenched sky, Lucy and I faced each other, the campfire's glow illuminated the grass around us. She wanted to share watch with me.. and that she would stay with me while I rested.

It pained me, this feeling that was forming within me, any time she was near..

The thoughts ran ramped in my mind, when I asked "Why do you look at me like that? And what is this secret?"

"It's nothing you should be afraid of." Lucy said as her big doe eyes were glued to mine.

"Every single thing you do makes me—." But as my cheeks warmed my teeth clenched shut.. 'tremble like no battle has.' and what I stopped myself from saying echoed in my mind. Unable to put these uncertain feelings into words.

"Makes you what?"

'Why do you always want to know? What would you do if you did?'

I sighed, I needed a way to end this conversation. So I put aside the menacing thoughts, not to mention the ones of how close her body was to mine, how she's radiating an intoxicating warmth.

"I could have you right here, right now." I growled lowly.

Lucy only looked down at the lush grass around us, almost to consider it.

"What happened to snapping at me like the last time?"

"I know you now!" Lucy protested. "Besides that was my second night of being here, I thought you were nothing but a perv- brute."

"Hm, So your saying I'm different now?"

"I'm saying I see you differently now."

"Well, did you get what you wanted?"

"I didn't exactly get what I expected."

For a moment, silence took over us. Lucy's eyes filled with emotion, capturing my own eyes into a deep stare.

'This feeling.. I see now.'

•End of Natsu's POV•