Part 8

Surprise, TRIPLE UPDATE

told you I was ahead

At lunch a few days later, everyone was at the table. Mark and Haechan had shown up with Jaemin, Jeno and Jisung had been in the gym, and Chenle was kinda just sitting there. Renjun had been missing for a while, but no one had noticed yet.

"Hey, guys?" Chenle asked. "Isn't Renjun in this lunch?

"Oh, yeah," Jeno said. "I wonder where he went."

Chenle sat there, wondering how Renjun's friends couldn't be worried, but then Jaemin started talking.

"Guys, should we look for him?" he said. "It's been a while."

Jeno shrugged. "He disappears pretty damn often, Jaemin."

Jisung stood up. "You two idiots can keep arguing, or you can come with me." He walked out of the cafeteria, and Chenle scrambled after him.

Jaemin stood up, too, turning his back on Jeno, and started walking out. Jeno froze for a second, then bolted to follow. Mark and Haechan sighed and left as well.

The six of them fanned out, searching for him. Jeno and Jaemin walked toward the music rooms. Mark and Haechan went up to the roof, and Jisung and Chenle floated around the hallways.

Mark ran up the stairs, and Haechan followed reluctantly. As they opened the door to the roof, they saw Renjun casually sitting on the railing. As the door clicked, he turned around and smiled a little.

"Hi," he said. He turned back, facing the seven-story drop. He leaned his head forward, hands still gripping the rail. "It's pleasant up here, isn't it?"

Mark and Haechan exchanged a worried look. "Shouldn't you get off the railing?" Haechan asked. "That's dangerous."

"Mm." He didn't listen. "The wind feels nice."

Mark groaned. "Get down."

"Which way?"

Renjun started coughing, and Mark thought he saw a flash of something yellow. As quickly as it had appeared, it was gone, and he brushed it off as a trick of the light.

Haechan froze. "What did you say?"

"I was kidding, relax," Renjun said as he hopped onto the floor of the roof. He grinned, but his eyes were red with tears. "Did you two seriously come looking for me on your own?"

"No, you dumbass," said Mark. "Jeno, Jaemin, Jisung, and Chenle are downstairs. Let's go."

They all went back inside, and Renjun trailed behind them as they talked. As they walked down the hall, they heard voices laughing and talking. Chenle and Jisung turned the corner, holding hands and giggling about something.

Jisung looked up and met Renjun's eyes. He froze. Chenle looked up, too, and immediately dropped Jisung's hand.

"You found Renjun," Jisung said, his voice slightly disappointed. He kept glancing at Chenle's hand.

"Where's Jeno and Jaemin?" Chenle piped up.

"They're in one of the music rooms.

"I'll get them," Renjun said quietly. He turned down a different hall as they went back to the cafeteria.

I'd always look for you two.