chapter thirty

-30-

Mather had slapped her on the back, nodding curtly as she stepped onto the ground. Tiptoeing around those who had fallen, she noted that most others disregarded their presence entirely, standing on hands and over their jackets. Tan waited for her, leaning against the stone wall. Wordlessly, she uncrossed her arms once the assassin neared, pushing off to walk with her back to the Sections.

Looking over her shoulder, Elle clamped her jaw shut as a few DETRA agents crouched by the bodies, stripping them of their clothes and bundling them to be washed and given to other agents. Picking at her shirt, she examined the frayed edges, wondering who had her clothing before her, and what misfortune had become of them.

Tan wrung her hands, then spoke softly. "Gods, well that was the worst one yet, I think. My hands are in tatters—"

It was true. When Elle looked at her palms, she found them sore and blistering. Feeling slowly seeped back into them and with that, immense pain. She had tuned out Tan's babbles, focusing on the extent of her injuries.

"So you're coming?" The blonde beside her finished, looking expectantly at Elle. The assassin turned, shaking herself out of the daze, "To what?" Her tone might have been harsher than usual because Tan flinched, recoiling slightly. Elle couldn't bring herself to care. The foul mood had settled, seeping into her skin like poison and causing her conversational skills to be even worse than usual.

"The performance. It will be fun," Tan assured her. "Someone's going to sing and there will be dancing."

Elle grunted as fatigue struck her body. This answer was enough for the other recruit, who settled into silence once more beside her, gnawing at her lip. Elle didn't attempt to make further small talk as they trudged back, focusing on just putting one foot in front of the other.

Rounding the corner by the grub hall, the assassin was too caught up in her pounding thoughts to notice Cerid, skulking by the entrance. He greeted Tan and her, catching her off guard as he materialised before them. Tan said something in response, gaze flicking to Elle. She didn't listen.

"Can I borrow you for a bit?" Cerid was talking to her.

Tan's brows raised, stepping further into the barracks. Physically and mentally exhausted, Elle dipped her head, following as he sprang into swift strides. As she glanced back, she spied Tan watching them go, something dark flitting across her expression.

Perhaps, if Elle were a better person she would turn around and ask if Tan was alright, enquire as to how badly she had been hurt in the trial, maybe she would feel guilty for killing that boy, for trying to kill Rand. No, she wouldn't feel bad if it had been Rand's body hitting the ground. Did that make her a bad person?

Something about that day had just taken the life out of her. Long nights and training on whatever sleep she had clutched to had finally taken their toll. Above all, she had been so switched off that Cerid had snuck right up on her! She hadn't seen the man, waiting in the shadows. In another situation, an attack, she would have been dead in two swipes.

What kind of an assassin was she if she allowed herself to be snuck up on?

A crappy one, her mind answered for her.

Cerid stalled at the end of one of the passageways that Elle knew was only a turn or so away from Boyo and the lift. She crossed her arms, looking to him, unable to gouge his expression. Without explanation, he turned on his heel and strode purposefully down another hall. Raising her eyebrows and scuttling after him, the assassin asked no questions.