chapter thirteen

-13-

The woman emerged from her house at dawn. She stood watching as Kath clambered onto Elle's beast. Elle tried not to let her gaze disconcert her, tightening saddlebag straps and checking nothing had been disbanded in their hurry to get away. Gripping the beast's mane, Elle swung a leg over the animal until she perched in front of Kath.

Tristan leant down from his own beast, speaking to the woman. "Lorel is this way?"

Gesturing with a sweep of her hand, "the land will open up, and you will be guided by the lights. It is at least a two day ride." Tristan bowed his head, "how can we repay you for your...hospitality?"

His voice was clipped with politeness, with only a slight edge of impatience and unease. Jax clicked his horse onwards, having heard the directions. Leo followed him, grinning. Elle too, egged her beast on, glancing back at the pair only to see the witch's eyes glazing over as a vacant look passed her features, eyes flicking to Ravaryn.

"The debt has already been paid. Khala samen, young travellers."

Confusion flickered, then Tristan straightened. Before he had even begun to move the witch had melted away into Orioch's land as if she had never been there at all, reduced to mere wisps of smoke and a blooming flower on the forest floor. A pure white, too perfect to be real. Tristan didn't pick up the white bulb, facing forwards and nudging his beast on.

They rode without many breaks, careful to keep direction during the night to make up for the time that they had lost. Exactly two and a half days of hard riding, the trees grew less dense and light began to shine through the open roof of evergreen. Leo cracked a loud whoop as they broke through the trees.

Lorel was so close. With winter creeping ever-closer, the nights had become bitingly cold—a warm bed sounded like a dream. Thundering hooves slowed as they surveyed their next hurdle, beyond them lay sprawling hills, long grass dipped in frost. A gust of wind played with her horse's mane as they trotted to the crest of the first hill.

Leo's celebrations echoed across the rolling plains, as he rode his animal of the edge of the steep slant at the edge of Orioch. His beast's hooves scrambled as the pair attempted to keep their balance, sliding down the hill.

"Is there any other way down?" Kath peered over the edge. It probably wasn't as steep as it looked from their position in reality.

"Nope." Elle grimaced, thumping the horse's side to spur it forwards. The animal tried to find footing but skid a good few feet, sliding down—albeit less gracefully—than Leo. But they had survived, with two people on the back of their horse without sustaining any injuries between the three of them.

Tristan and Jax didn't waste any time descending the hill, joining them at the base. "Come on!" Leo had already worked his beast into a gallop up and down the hills.

By nightfall, Elle could spy lights glittering in the distance, their lustre mimicking those of the stars speckled in the sky above. Lorel lay nestled in a hill in the distance, surrounded by the walls it was famous for. It was that glow that beckoned them to race faster across the plains despite the discomfort.

Giant oak gates towered above them, decorated with intricate gold leaves and twining branches crowned their arrival. The Enforcers groggily blinked sleep from their eyes, sitting upright from their positions by the entrance to the city. Even being a primarily residential city, Lorel's leader: an ex-Enforcer general made sure order was upheld. Paranoid bastard.