chapter sixteen

-16-

Slinging her bag of toiletries and the few spare clothes she had brought onto a random bottom bunk, the assassin examined the room. The person who caught her eye stood to the side of the hubbub, arms crossed. On his left shoulder were strips of white indicating his status. Elle looked down as his piercing eyes swept past her.

Some trainees had already begun to spar in the centre, every so often glancing over to the man to see if he was watching. He wasn't.

Her fingers probed the thin mattress—a decent bed. Gods, how she missed her soft one in Eryan, with her feather down pillows. Someone chuckled from behind her, before a voice chimed.

"Rough travels?"

Elle turned, coming face to face with a tall woman, whose blonde curls bounced as she walked towards her. "That obvious?" She muttered, glancing again at the bed.

"Well," the blonde thing said flippantly, hauling her bag onto the top bunk, "you were eyeing it up like it was a long-lost lover of yours. I assumed." Elle didn't move as she settled herself. "I'm Tan."

"Vhiena." They shook hands, the assassin noting her solid grip.

Tan promptly launched into a stream of gossip and pointless chatter about the event, recalling anecdotes and stories from her previous years. "This would be my third attempt at recruitment, although I heard they're whittling down the numbers of those accepted this time."

Elle nodded complacently, letting her prattle on for another minute before jumping in, "who is that official standing over there?" She jerked her head towards the man. Tan looked over, her hazel eyes brightening.

"That handsome man is the Section 6 leader. Easy on the eye, thank god. I mean, last year I had the meanest—" And so she continued, nudging Elle with her elbow. "Don't look so abashed, V. We aren't the only ones who have noticed such fortunate genetics." Sure enough, he had caught most of the women's attention. Elle scoffed, turning away.

"I know things about people here they probably don't even know about themselves!" She laughed, linking their arms and listing off some of the juicier pieces she had weaselled out of trainees. "You don't want to get on my bad side," Tan's face beamed with satisfaction. "How clever!" She replied enthusiastically. Her sickly sweetness wasn't going to entrap Elle.

"Fall in." His gravelly voice boomed through the giant room. Scrambling into position, the agents convened underneath the dome. He trapped them all under his scrutinising glare.

"I am Mather, your Section Leader. Before we begin let me make one thing clear," his dark eyes narrowed, "I will not tolerate petty brawls or rule breaking. You will follow all orders, you will be here in time for the 10 o'clock curfew." A curfew? Elle could have laughed.

"Most of you won't succeed. There are over twenty sections, in total we are training around a thousand of you useless agents." He cleared his throat, "three recruits from each section will be accepted into DETRA's ranks."

Tan paled beside her. Elle's expression turned sour. Whispers and complaints buzzed around the crowd. Mather's ears had pricked at a few, as he bellowed "well this year is different!" His sudden outburst quietened the protests.

"Our process is simple: there will be training, and tasks for you to complete. Only the top percentage will continue. Your final trial will deem the winners." Mather grunted, a smile tugging at his lips. Not exactly friendly, more like the grin of a man who would enjoy squirming entertainment.