Twelve

Well here we are.

Dragon's edge.

Upon the discovery of Dagur's escape from prison, a new trinket Hiccup found on a boat and nearly being killed by giant eels, we concluded that we have a new mission on our hands.

Dragons are threatened all across the archipelago and we must stop whoever these guys may be.

Stormfly was perched on my newly built hut up high on the edge and she roared in greetings as I came out of my door.

"Let's get going girl. Before Hiccup wakes up", whisper as she quietly floats downward onto the wooden deck.

"You'll have to get up much earlier than that, Milady", I hear his voice behind me.

"Oh hey", I awkwardly move my hair out of my face. I look upon Hiccup as he has a raised eyebrow, knowing that he ruined my early morning flight plans.

"You're still up early huh?", he crosses his arms as if he didn't already know.

"Uh, yeah? I always have", I say slightly defending myself.

"I know that. But why here?", he asks further. Now I know he's on to something. He knows me better than anyone, and he probably is wondering about my past habits coming into my present life.

"Well, Stormfly and I are getting prepared for anything that may come our way", I proudly stand and pat the head of my Nadder to the left of me.

"Uh huh. So you clearly have no other motives to do so, other than pure preparation for attacks on the edge?"

Yep, he's questioning me now about something deeper. Why the Thor does he do this to me?

"Hiccup, I know what you're going to ask me. And... no, I didn't...", I exhale and turn away.

"Astrid... how come?", he comes up behind me and lays a hand on my shoulder. A bit of anger rises in my stomach, why in Thor's name does he feel like he needs to patrol me in this area. It's my issue to deal with.

"I don't know. I honestly don't know how to. And I honestly don't know why it means so much to you", I shoot him a glare.

"Astrid, you know why it's important to me", he challenges.

I do. I really do. It's just been a long while since anything's happened between us to even consider his feelings in the equation, let alone mine.

"I just wanted your father okay with all this. I know we're eighteen now and we are able to come out here as we please, but his opinion of these matters are important to me. Especially for... you know... the future...", he chuckles uncomfortably with a hand on the back of his neck.

I can't help but smile at this dork of a Viking. He's so thoughtful and intentional with these kinds of things. Even though we aren't anything special at the moment, it's warming to know he's thinking about it.

"Thank you. I will talk to him about everything, but he isn't the only reason I get up early and train. I honestly enjoy it and it keeps someone on their toes", I smirk at him. He smiles at me, following a Haddock eye-roll.

"Well, get on out there! I'll see you at the clubhouse for breakfast", he says before turning on his heel.

"Come on girl", I say to Stormfly before we race to the sky.

_________________

I was quite winded after this morning's exercise, I almost fell off of Stormfly upon landing by the clubhouse. I pushed myself a little too much today, but I blame the frustration in my mind over my father.

Years have gone by since Dragon Training and Berk uniting with dragons as a whole, but there was still a void that was left. My father barely speaks at all when I'm around. My poor mother has been there for me and I am thankful to Odin for her, but I just don't understand why dad won't accept our new way of life. He quite possibly has, but I just wish some little ray of hope could shine through his lifeless blue eyes.

Do I disappoint him still? I joined the Berk Guard for a quick moment, I trained countless dragons and aspiring riders, I have helped defend against some of the craziest enemies, and I am now doing that again here on the edge.

This... is what Hiccup was talking about. I have to talk to my dad so these things don't run ramped in my head...

"Astrid! Come eat!", Ruffnut calls from her place by the fire stove in the center of the room.

"Coming! Here you go girl. Good work today", I toss my Deadly Nadder a halibut and join my friends. My seat is next to Hiccup as always and he smiles upon seeing me. Sliding over a bowl, he tells me that there have been sightings on Dagur. But Thor knows where and what his plans are.

"Gang, we must remain training and getting ready for anything that may happen", Hiccup takes a bite of porridge.

"We know Hiccup, it's not like we are waiting for Dagur to show up for a tea party", Snotlout rolls his eyes.

"A tea party?! Why wasn't I invited?!", Tuffnut slams his hands down on the table.

"You lack the proper... elegance for such an invitation", Ruff retorts.

"Oh yeah?! And you do?", Tuff growls.

"There is no tea party...", Hiccup face palms.

"Guys! Hiccup's right. But... what should we do?", Fishlegs asks.

"I think the answer to that question, is to ask Astrid. She's been up early everyday since we've been here", he gestures towards me.

I proudly cross my arms as I see Snotlout roll his eyes in my peripheral vision. I ignore it and nod for Hiccup to continue.

"Yeah. She has some battle tactics and formation plans in mind".

Below the table, I squeeze his hand in thanks for letting me use what I've learned to teach the gang.