Six

Hiccup began doodling the outlines of the islands on little sheets of paper.

The sun was high in the sky and the warmth wasn't overbearing but it definitely helped hide the rosiness in my cheeks.

Toothless and Stormfly had become familiar pals and they play around the grass as growls and groans echo against the cliffs around us.

"Hiccup?", I speak up and he looks at me.

He knows what I'm going to ask... or what I may ask.

"Yes, M'lady?", he smiles and continues to draw.

There it is again, 'M'lady'.

I have to bite my tongue to avoid squealing like a little girl and keep my noble expression.

"That was brave of you", is all I say.

He knows exactly what I'm referring to and he begins to smile.

I didn't take Hiccup as a gutsy lad before, but after all that has happened the last several weeks, he became brave enough to change a way of life.

Not to mention being brave enough to kiss a girl.

"Well... I wanted you to know that you were justified in your feelings. And... erm... also, I've been wanting to do that since you kissed me in front of the village the first time", he says laying a hand on mine.

Sparks shoot into my beating chest.

I kind of like the Hiccup no one else sees; he's calm, daring, and even a bit vulnerable.

We spent the afternoon searching for new species and even mapping out some of the new places we discovered.

From time to time our arms would swipe against one another's and we'd jerk back as if it burnt our skin with embarrassment.

I'd catch him staring at me as I give Stormfly scratches and hugs. Then he'd catch me staring at how he purses his lips together in such concentration.

As much as I want to jump on board with the awkward and rather dangerous tension between us, it's still very new and early to attempt anything.

We're only 15.

Well... I'll be sixteen the day after Snoggletog, which is in a couple months.

We have plenty of time to develop this... thing, which isn't really a thing yet.

It's pure and innocent, and it should stay that way.

I hear a soft growl underneath my arm.

Toothless is now pushing my book out of my hand and begging for attention.

He pushes my side with his snout trying to get me to move.

"Hey Toothless, did Hiccup not pay you as much attention?", I giggle rubbing his chin and neck.

Speaking of... where is Hiccup?

I just realized that I had been sitting over on some boulders for a little while now.

He had seen a few peculiar things as we were hiking this morning, so I left him to it as I took a breather.

But I didn't notice how much time had actually gone by.

Hiccup wouldn't normally go anywhere without Toothless; they can't get anywhere without each other.

I look down at the distressed fury who's expression is in terror.